No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, but no thanks. I'm trying to avoid spoilers. That's why I waited so long before reading this thread, and I'll probably avoid it during season 3.

Comment

• Oerdin... Roose Bolton is the lord, his bastard son is Ramsay Snow turned Ramsay Bolton after being legitimized by the king. I'll just say so much since I can't be bothered to type in spoiler tags.

Comment

• Originally posted by korn469 View Post
        Thanks, but no thanks. I'm trying to avoid spoilers.
        Which would be why I put it in the spoiler tags. So no one had to look at it if they didn't want to.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthy View Post
          Oerdin... Roose Bolton is the lord, his bastard son is Ramsay Snow turned Ramsay Bolton after being legitimized by the king. I'll just say so much since I can't be bothered to type in spoiler tags.
          Thanks, changed it. It's been a while since I read the books.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• What I'd like to know is why is this civilization so backwards? According to the Features sections of the DVD it's over 5000 years old, yet it's stuck in a permanent dark ages. There doesn't appear to have ever been a golden age of literature, or philosophy, or arts, or math or science.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Probably because of all the political squabbles.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Cos no China, that's why.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Magic

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Magic

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                      What I'd like to know is why is this civilization so backwards? According to the Features sections of the DVD it's over 5000 years old, yet it's stuck in a permanent dark ages. There doesn't appear to have ever been a golden age of literature, or philosophy, or arts, or math or science.
                      No, Valyria was advanced. Westeros was never advanced, but Valyria was. I think Valyria was supposed to basically represent the Roman Empire.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Probably because of all the political squabbles.
                        Uh, are you familiar with European history? some of western civilization's greatest advancements have occurred roughly during periods of it's greatest turmoil.

Is there anything on the planet other than Westros and Easteros? Just think about it. The royal trip from King's Landing to Winterfall, which is nearly the length of Seven Kingdoms takes about 4 weeks. Obviously most of the servants were walking, they'd have to break camp and pack each morning, pause for the royal lunch, then unpack and set up camp at dusk, They'd probably average less than 15 miles/day, so the distance from King's Landing to Winterfall must be about 400 to 450 miles. Isn't that approximately the distance from London to Glasgow? So Westeros is approximately the size of the island of Britannia. On the maps shown in the series Easteros appears only slightly bigger. Surely there's more land somewher else? What are these folks going to do when one day a bunch of Spaniards armed with muskets show up on their shores?
                        Last edited by Dr Strangelove; February 10, 2013, 20:20.

Comment

• No, Valyria was advanced. Westeros was never advanced, but Valyria was. I think Valyria was supposed to basically represent the Roman Empire.

Wasn't Valyria on the southern end of Easteros? The Roman Empire blown up by a single volcano? A volcano that size should have turned the entire planet into Venus. Also many artifacts and writings seem to have been saved, so the civilizations of Easteros and Westeros should have been able to continue the progress.

Comment

• Apparently, Westeros is about 3000 miles long and about 900 miles wide at its widest.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Yet House Cerwyn is half a days ride from Winterfell but on maps that would put it about 30 miles away. Population density doesn't seem to fit with those dimensions either.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                Apparently, Westeros is about 3000 miles long and about 900 miles wide at its widest.
                                A royal entourage is not going to traverse the better part of 3000 miles in 4 weeks. If Westeros is that long then 2/3rds of it must be north of The Wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X