No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the theory is Ned did have an affair with the daughter of the fisherman/boatman but she didn't get pregnant and instead Jon is his nephew who also is the rightful king? Well, it would be a twist but I guess we'll see (in 12-18 years if GRRM doesn't die first).
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• While this is a good and likely theory, I have to imagine GRRM's love of subverting tropes means he's exactly who we've been told he is.

Note that, if this is the case, he's one of the greatest trolls of western civilization.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Spoiler:
        One of the big advantages to the whole R+L=J theory is that it explains a ton of stuff that otherwise makes a lot less sense. For instance, Lyanna was actually into Rhaegar and not whatshisface who was King at the beginning of the book. Moreover, they didn't murder her; she just died in childbirth. And on top of that, being of Targaryen blood, Jon actually has a claim to the Iron Throne.

Comment

• What I find hilariously interesting are the non-intellectual characters and their lack of backstory: both Hodor and Patchface might yet be used for ****ing weird twists...

edit: although both are likely to remain what they've been presented as, vaguely mysterious lackwits, though the drowning experience of Patchface (I keep typing 'Moonboy' instead...) will probably be elaborated upon in some later book, it seemingly being cause to all those predictions..

Comment

• Beware named characters with minimal backstory or screentime because they frequently are the abused objects of the horrible creatures known as fanfic writers, who mold such characters into their own image. See for example every minor character in the Harry Potter books.

Comment

• Is HODOR azor azhai? HODOR!
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• That would be awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  So the theory is Ned did have an affair with the daughter of the fisherman/boatman but she didn't get pregnant and instead Jon is his nephew who also is the rightful king? Well, it would be a twist but I guess we'll see (in 12-18 years if GRRM doesn't die first).
                  We don't even know they ever had an affair. For all we know he might have made it up to protect his sister. I'm still not convinced. Although the baby-skipping at the Wall does acquire some ironic by-taste if you consider that theory alongside

Spoiler:
                  It would create a nice threefold: baby-skipping both in the Red Keep (Aegon) and at the Wall (Gilly's/Mance's) , as well as one baby-faking of Jon. Might I be on to something here?

Comment

• Here's what I think happens. Danaerys, Stannis, Jon Snow, Arya, and, of course, HODOR! all turn into mecha-robots. In fact, they all turn into Giant Death Robots. Then they form Giant Death Voltron and we get an anime-style final battle with lazar beems and explosions and then big shouts of NOOO!!!!!! and more explosions and then all the heat from the battle with a giant mecha white walker/Other turns it into spring. And then they all go have a picnic. And live happily ever after.

It just makes sense, right?
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• beginning to feel sorry for the thread

Comment

• Where does the spa episode fit in?

xpost

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          One of the big advantages to the whole R+L=J theory is that it explains a ton of stuff that otherwise makes a lot less sense. For instance, Lyanna was actually into Rhaegar and not whatshisface who was King at the beginning of the book. Moreover, they didn't murder her; she just died in childbirth. And on top of that, being of Targaryen blood, Jon actually has a claim to the Iron Throne.
                          I agree. The entire Lyanna story is twisted at the beginning with us only hearing Robert's point of view. At some point, it is mentioned how Ned "knows better than to say anything in response", hinting at the possibility he might well be aware of Robert's misconceptions. Over time you begin to wonder why Ned actually supported Robert against Rhaegar, although he himself had all reason to rebel against Aerys. The entire rebellion seems a political failure, considering they might have found a very stable coalition against Aerys without wiping out the entire dynasty, especially seeing how popular Rhaegar was at the time.

Comment

• Spoiler:
                            Actually, something i just thought of a moment ago (which someone else has undoubtedly already come up with): Rhaegar and Lyanna could in fact have married in secret, thus making Jon unambiguously the legitimate heir to the Iron Throne. That's a hugely useful plot device.

On top of that, the theory allows for the idea that Ned is just such an honorable person, that not only did he never break his honor by having an extramarital affair, but he was willing to pretend to have lost his honor in order to do the honorable thing and protect his sister's son.
                            Last edited by regexcellent; February 9, 2013, 22:02.

Comment

• Spoiler:
                              Anyway, there's another plot element that would be revealed and sorted out with that theory: the dragon would finally have three heads.

Comment

• Didn't get this edit in before you replied, but R+L=J is kind of like the first tale of Boccaccio's Decameron in that it presents the moral conundrum of lying about your sins being honorable, though in a reversed way. So you get the highbrow literary reference as well in its resume.

Comment

Working...
                                X