A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    OK, not radically different but details and characters were changed and some characters were even killed off while entirely new characters were made up.
    The only characters I remember being killed off too early were Tickler and Amory Lorch, and they are hardly important. (Though it definitely calls into the question whether a certain extremely awesome and cathartic scene will make the show.) Am I forgetting someone?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Yep, it ruins the suspense when an author writes as god and reveals to much to early. There are tons of foreshadowing and hints in the books but the reader has to work for them by putting clues together because GRRM isn't the type of author to serve them up to readers on a silver plate. That's actually kind of cool.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        The only characters I remember being killed off too early were Tickler and Amory Lorch, and they are hardly important. (Though it definitely calls into the question whether a certain extremely awesome and cathartic scene will make the show.) Am I forgetting someone?
        Several members of Daenerys's band to name one. The differences really do add up over time as even the wiki has three full pages of differences listed. I could post them but it's probably better that those who are interested just read the links:

Comment

• By the way, the Jon Snow's mom question has basically been settled, right?
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            By the way, the Jon Snow's mom question has basically been settled, right?
            My bet is
            Spoiler:
            Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Yeah, that's the prevailing theory. I think there's not much doubt anymore, is there?

Comment

Yeah, that's the prevailing theory. I think there's not much doubt anymore, is there?
                If you have to ask......sounds like there is still some doubt.

But isn't this thread specifically about the tv series so that those of us (myself included) who have read the books don't spoil anything for those who have just seen the TV series? What's with all the spoiler talk about what has and hasn't happened by the end of book 5?
                "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

By the way, the Jon Snow's mom question has basically been settled, right?
                  It seems so though Jon Snow himself was never told about it. So the info is out there but it hasn't reached the right person yet and it may never as he looks set to die though my money is on him croaking (dying the true death) but warging into another body much like Mormont's raven is actually holding what's his name's personality.

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                    My bet is
                    Spoiler:
                    Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen
                    Spoiler:
                    He has the wrong hair as supposedly hair color is some how magically connected to houses in this world. It would be a cool twist but my money is on that fisherman's daughter.

Comment

• Today in "Oerdin is Always Wrong": the above post.

Also, no one dead in Dany's band on the TV show is in any way important. There is only one important member of her band at this point on the show, and he is very much alive. We will hopefully meet some others in the new season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
                        If you have to ask......sounds like there is still some doubt.

But isn't this thread specifically about the tv series so that those of us (myself included) who have read the books don't spoil anything for those who have just seen the TV series? What's with all the spoiler talk about what has and hasn't happened by the end of book 5?
                        I haven't really read most of the books, just had significant amounts of plot (voluntarily) spoiled to me. I don't actually have the patience for the books, can't really seem to get into them. They're absurdly dark. I don't really like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                          Today in "Oerdin is Always Wrong": the above post.

Also, no one dead in Dany's band on the TV show is in any way important. There is only one important member of her band at this point on the show, and he is very much alive. We will hopefully meet some others in the new season.
                          There are several second tier reappearing characters which have an impact on dany's story which are now dead. Sure, they can write new characters to fill the same role but one of the cool things about Martin is he never wastes a character and that makes the stories more realistic and emotionally fulfilling. Just look at all the changes (three very full web pages) and as each season goes on
                          the differences are just going to pile up higher and higher.

Comment

I haven't really read most of the books, just had significant amounts of plot (voluntarily) spoiled to me. I don't actually have the patience for the books, can't really seem to get into them. They're absurdly dark. I don't really like that.
                            That's just how the medieval world looked. People were rather blood thirsty and unenlightened. You can hardly blame him for trying to make it feel realistic-ish (excepting for the presence of fantasical beasts/monsters and the small amount of magic in the world; at least he doesn't have all powerful mages destroying everything a la AD&D).

Comment

• Ironically enough, the one theory concerning Jon Snow's birth that seems to have most following among fans is the only one that so far has not appeared in the books. Thus, as far as Jon Snow is concerned, not only has he no knowledge of this theory, it isn't even part of the reader's knowledge as drawn from the narrative.

Spoiler:
                              There's three theories mentioned on different occasions. Ashara Dayne, the ferryman's daughter and then Wylla the wetnurse who I seem to recall lives in house Dayne and who is also the only name that is provided in the TV show. The Rhaegar/Lyanna stuff seems to be mostly from the fact that Lyanna's "secret" is so well-kept (only Howland Reed lives to know of it), as well as the fact that her being kept in the tower and guarded by three kingsguard members seems so mysterious that one could guess there's a potential heir to the Targaryen claim born from their relationship. But there's no evidence to this theory whatsoever, except "Jon looks like Arya", which doesn't say a lot.

Comment

• Spoiler:
                                there are also Ned's flashbacks, "Promise me, Ned," Lyanna being in a "bed of blood", which is an obvious allusion to a birth...
                                It isn't obvious on first reading, but if one re-reads the books after hearing the theory, it is screamingly obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X