A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    re: Renly's death. I think Martin had to place that in the books to show that Melisandre isn't just some crackpot but actually DOES have magic and her disposal. And makes everyone understand that yes this is a fantasy series.
    Well, that's a good purpose and it served it's goal. The red god is by far the only god that apparently has powers, or at least his priests do.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• What about the murder god?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        re: Renly's death. I think Martin had to place that in the books to show that Melisandre isn't just some crackpot but actually DOES have magic and her disposal. And makes everyone understand that yes this is a fantasy series.
        I say this every ****ing time.

There are ****ing dragons. Anybody who thinks that there are dragons and it isn;t a fantasy series is dumb.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
          What about the murder god?
          which god? the god of many faces (of the faceless men?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
            I say this every ****ing time.

There are ****ing dragons. Anybody who thinks that there are dragons and it isn;t a fantasy series is dumb.
            nobody is saying that it's not fantasy.
            It's just that everybody has a certain tolerance for the impact magic can have on the story without it making the story uninteresting.
            GRRM could give Melisandre enough magic to make all the others disappear at once, kill all Stanis enemies and place him in the flick of a wrist on the iron throne. the end.
            I am pretty sure that all of use would be unsatisfied by such an ending.

Well, some have more tolerance for magic having an important role in the series then others.
            Obviously most fans have tolerance for magic otherwise we wouldn't be reading fantasy.
            Killing a major person and then just magically let him/her resurrect unspoiled again next day would criple my tolerance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
              which god? the god of many faces (of the faceless men?)
              Yes, that one.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• it's more like it's followers have the power of the knife... or am I missing something?

Comment

• Edit: spoiler'd because Imran suggested it, sorry guys
                  Spoiler:
                  I think they're all real, right? The magic trees have superpowers or something that Bran can use, doesn't that fall under the old gods?
                  Last edited by Hauldren Collider; September 2, 2012, 23:34.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• TV show discussion thread.... so, you should probably spoiler tag that.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Spoiler:
                      I'd say that the warg/wearwood powers Bran has are still human powers...
                      The faceless men are just very skilled murderers.
                      But Melissander gets stuff revealed in the fires that apparently is true.

So far I haven't had a clue that the 7 or the drowned gods have any powers.

Comment

it's more like it's followers have the power of the knife... or am I missing something?
                        They have to get their powers from somewhere. Otherwise, one could say that redhead's power is the shoot shadow monsters from her vagina.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                          They have to get their powers from somewhere. Otherwise, one could say that redhead's power is the shoot shadow monsters from her vagina.
                          What special powers do the faceless men have?

Comment

• They can change their appearance at will. - as described in the books and demonstrated at the end of the TV show.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

it's more like it's followers have the power of the knife... or am I missing something?
                              You obviously missed the episode where the faceless man changed faces.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Re: Fantasy and magic. These are GRRM's own words on exactly this matter, making one reference to a first season event.

Comment

Working...
                                X