No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will be a long cold wait for season 3.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
      Wait for the show watchers who have read the books, did Robb end up marrying that Lady Talisa person:

Spoiler:
      Did they cut out Jayne Westerling?
      Spoiler:
      I think they did, which is fine, really. The fact that she's a vassal of the Lannisters is far less important than the fact that she is not a Frey, all things considered. She may be killed at the Red Wedding as well, to up the shock factor, or she may be left behind at Riverrun as Jeyne is, who knows? The only thing we'll lack in the long run is Jaime's scene with her mother.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• On some level I can see that, but...

Spoiler:
        Since Talisa isn't an actually Lady (is she), the whole concept of couldn't Robb just made her his mistress comes to the fore (which I've heard on other message boards). He marries Jayne Westerling because she actually is a Lady and thus you can't really keep nobility as a mistress... well I guess you could, but it wouldn't be good form
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I think they mentioned her being nobility on the show.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Who burnt down Winterfell?
            Was it Theon's guys or was it the siegeing army, which I thought wanted to recapture the castle in Rob's name?
            Quendelie axan!

Comment

• Best. Episode. EVAR.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                Who burnt down Winterfell?
                Was it Theon's guys or was it the siegeing army, which I thought wanted to recapture the castle in Rob's name?
                You'll see next season. From what I've read I think the show wants to keep it a cliffhanger, but if you can't wait:

Spoiler:
                It's the "siegeing army" led by the Bastard of Roose Bolton (Ramsay Snow). They burnt down Winterfell because while Robb is their liege lord, they don't care much for the place
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  On some level I can see that, but...

Spoiler:
                  Since Talisa isn't an actually Lady (is she), the whole concept of couldn't Robb just made her his mistress comes to the fore (which I've heard on other message boards). He marries Jayne Westerling because she actually is a Lady and thus you can't really keep nobility as a mistress... well I guess you could, but it wouldn't be good form

Spoiler:
                  1. This is a Stark we're talking about. His honor would not allow such a thing. 2. That's more than a bit lame.

Comment

• Spoiler:
                    Not ALL Starks are so stupid that honor trumps what they have to do. Jon, after all, pretends to be a Wildling for the good of the Night's Watch - not very honorable as Jon's POV chapters make clear. Arya also realizes the limits of spoilers

Comment

Who burnt down Winterfell?
                      I'm guessing the sieging army wasn't that one guy's bastard son, but Theon's sister. I'm guessing she came to save her little brother and then burned and pillaged Winterfell as they left.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                          I'm guessing the sieging army wasn't that one guy's bastard son, but Theon's sister. I'm guessing she came to save her little brother and then burned and pillaged Winterfell as they left.
                          That seems unlikely considering Theon's and his men's reactions to the whole siege thing.

I also could not get what exactly happened with Jon Snow and the other captured guy? Why the other guy attacked him and why the wildlings freed him after he killed him?
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

• It is clear in the book, if a bit muddled in the show; I'm not sure if the show wants to keep it a mystery for now or not, so I'll put in answer in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler:
                            In the book, Jon and Qhorin are never captured in the first place, but are trying to get back to the others to warn them of the Wildling army. They eventually get caught by a Wildling group (led by Rattleshirt, including Ygritte), but before they do, Qhorin tells Jon that he must infiltrate the Wildlings to learn their plans, and that he must not hesitate to do anything they ask. When the Wildlings find them, Jon goes over to them, Qhorin calls him a coward, and Rattleshirt orders him to kill Qhorin to prove his loyalty. Jon realized that Qhorin knew that would happen all along.

Comment

• Quorin Halfhand basically realized that they'd both die, so he sacrificed himself (knowing he was injured) so that at least Jon Snow could infiltrate the Wildlings (because it would seem like Snow had turned on the Nights Watch).

Comment

That seems unlikely considering Theon's and his men's reactions to the whole siege thing.

I also could not get what exactly happened with Jon Snow and the other captured guy? Why the other guy attacked him and why the wildlings freed him after he killed him?
                                Yea, what Imran said. Halfhand figured that Snow killing him was the ultimate way for him to gain their trust and infiltrate the wildlings.

As for Theon, he certainly believed that an enemy was there. His men though seemed to act pretty casual. I didn't get the sense that they were rushed or worried. Just "ho hum, put a bag on his head and let's go home".

The only other option, that the son of Robb's closest advisor burned down the city himself? For what purpose? What would he hope to accomplish? If he wanted to defy the Starks (and his dad) why not join with the Greyjoys? That clearly didn't happen. He seemed to be following Robb's orders in telling the Iron Islanders that they would be free to go if they handed over Theon. Why follow Robb's orders there and then just burn the place down? What would be their motiviation? To conquer the north for themselves? With 500 men? Or is he an agent for the Lannisters?

I dunno. Especially with the speech Theon's sister gave him earlier about taking care of him when he was screaming in the crib. She probably felt responsible for him and didn't want her brother to die needlessly. She tried convincing him to leave on his own, he refused, so she had to make it look like Winterfell was being assaulted and then just nab him.
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X