No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stream of new characters isn't going to get any better...

Though Season 3 and 4 should be ok (the two halves of Storm of Swords). Season 5 (Feast for Crows is mostly about these new characters and areas) there are going to be a ton of new characters (though they may start introducing them in Season 4).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Then they're probably going to lose me.

At the start of the series I would stay up to watch the episode when it aired. I'm now watching the following day and without the same enthusiasm.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• They don't introduce that many new characters in the third/fourth/fifth book, and the ones who are introduced are at least relations of characters we know (Greyjoys) or will know after season 3 (Martells).

It is just that some of the more minor characters (Samwell, Brienne) take much bigger roles.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          No way on God's Green Earth that HODOR HODOR HODOR will be this season.

That will be the 9th or 10th episode of season three, almost certainly. Unless that is HODOR HODOR HODOR instead, in which case it'll probably be the 6th.
          You know, I'm amazed how well that worked.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Spoiler:
            Varys is debatable; one could also see him in worse shape, as he is in hiding, having lost his position in court. Bran is more of a lateral move; he may be a bit better off at the end of 5, but it is a small tick up after a steady decline, going through the horrors of the North.

As for Sansa, well, she is under the thumb of Littlefinger, possibly the most evil mother****er in the world, who also is barely restraining himself from getting into her skirts. She is also in hiding, and one of her hunters is now right next to her (unbeknownst to them both). Meanwhile, the Vale is on the brink of civil war. I don't think she is necessarily worse off in 5, but she is in every bit as much danger as she is in the show currently.
            Spoiler:
            Wait, who is the hunter next to Sansa?
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Spoiler:
              Ser Shadrich, the "Mad Mouse", whom Brienne briefly met on her journey, and who has recently agreed to enter Littlefinger's service.

Comment

• Spoiler:
                Ah yes, long time since I read that bit. Thanks for the reminder
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  The plotting is fine, who doesn't love a good conspiracy?

The endless stream of new characters (this is what slows things down) is not.
                  well -- unfortunately for you, there are many more characters to come.... But they do kill characters off at an equally rapid pace.

I enjoyed the books but I do recall being peeved when a favorite character would not be written of for 100 pages-- (or even a whole book !!)
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

They don't introduce that many new characters in the third/fourth/fifth book, and the ones who are introduced are at least relations of characters we know (Greyjoys) or will know after season 3 (Martells).
                    And you don't think that's all that many new main characters? Two more huge Iron Islanders (at least) and a whole new family consisting of at least 5 new big time characters (though perhaps 3 of them can be less important)? That's a lot of new background and storyline.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I think that's less then book/season 2, so if that's it for the next three books that's not bad at all.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Book/Season 2 introduced Stannis, Melissandre, Davos, Arya/Yaya, & Balon as main(ish) characters right?

There are a couple of Tullys (the awesomest ones) who were in Book 2, but won't really appear until Season 3 for the show.

I remember that there was a lot of complaining from Book readers that Book 4 introduced a whole bunch of new characters and locations and a lot of readers didn't really care for all the pages spent on them.

Comment

• Almost forgot (well, Guy and I forgot) to mention, all the people we meet in Essos, esp Slaver's Bay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            And you don't think that's all that many new main characters? Two more huge Iron Islanders (at least) and a whole new family consisting of at least 5 new big time characters (though perhaps 3 of them can be less important)? That's a lot of new background and storyline.
                            Not really, especially since we really don't spend that much time with those new characters as opposed to characters we already know. (The aforementioned Sam and Brienne, for instance; further discussion withheld due to risk of spoilers.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              Almost forgot (well, Guy and I forgot) to mention, all the people we meet in Essos, esp Slaver's Bay.
                              Almost all of them minor, none of them point of view, and all through Dany's eyes. Nothing really new there, as compared to her story up to this point.

Other than her story gets ****ING AWESOME (for a while, anyway).

Comment

Not really, especially since we really don't spend that much time with those new characters as opposed to characters we already know. (The aforementioned Sam and Brienne, for instance; further discussion withheld due to risk of spoilers.)
                                I think at this point I have to ask if you've read Feast for Crows. A good quarter to a third of the book is dedicated to those new characters.

And one of them manifests in POV chapters in Book 5, and a preview chapter for Book 6 shows another being of pretty big importance.

Comment

Working...
                                X