A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    I was wondering if that would even be in the show.

Jesus H Christ in a cardigan sweater, the internet might ****ing explode when that episode airs.
    Wait...Castamere is on the season 2 soundtrack? Um...they didn't move it up, did they?

edit: nah, there's no time. It must just be setting up for the future.
    Last edited by Koyaanisqatsi; May 25, 2012, 20:39.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• I could see them ending the second season with that scene.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I was talking about it with my wife, and we both think it's possible, but there's so much else to do. Plus:

Spoiler:
        If they go straight to the wedding, the people who threatened to leave last season after Ned's execution may well leave. Ned's gone, Winterfell, the RW...with no answering losses on the Lannister side the people who see Starks as the heroes of the story will be pretty much toast. At least Joff was offed in the same book.

Have to assume that ep. 9 is Blackwater and Jon Snow's fight with the Halfhand, and 10 is the House of the Undying and Arya's split from Jaqen. The episode 10 title is Valar Morghulis, which would fit with Jaqen obviously but would also be kind of appropriate for RW. That's a lot for one episode though. Moving it up means they don't have to keep ducking battle scenes quite so much though, and they can get some of the payroll for the cast off the books before the new crop is brought on next season. Hmm.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• No way on God's Green Earth that HODOR HODOR HODOR will be this season.

That will be the 9th or 10th episode of season three, almost certainly. Unless that is HODOR HODOR HODOR instead, in which case it'll probably be the 6th.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• So I was thinking today, where we are in the show, versus where things stand after fifth book, and which "main credits" characters are better off after book five than where they are now in season two, and this is what I got

Spoiler:
            Littlefinger
            Arya

and that is it. MAYBE Sansa.

Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
              I could see them ending the second season with that scene.
              Not nearly enough time. Maybe the end 3rd season. Perhaps they could play that song after Ep 9.

If they do move it up, Season 3 will be quite a bit more dull than expected.

Spoiler:
              Think about it. After the Battle of Blackwater, you still have the threat of Robb Stark. That gets resolved in middle of Book 3, but almost right after Joffrey dies. It'd a one-two punch in the middle of Book 3. It seems like the Lannisters have everything and then all of a sudden its pulled away. You kind of have to preserve that duality, IMO
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So I was thinking today, where we are in the show, versus where things stand after fifth book, and which "main credits" characters are better off after book five than where they are now in season two, and this is what I got

Spoiler:
                Littlefinger
                Arya

and that is it. MAYBE Sansa.

Yikes.
                Spoiler:
                MOST DEFINITELY Sansa!! Are you insane. Right now in the show she's getting bulled by a sadistic King, where as in Book 5 she's learning statecraft from Littlefinger, who plans to marry her to the heir of the Vale and is biding time until she's revealed to be Sansa Stark, rightful heir to Winterfell, married to Harold Hardying (that's right, isn't it?) true heir to the Vale - after Robert Arryn. She's sitting super pretty.

Perhaps one can say Bran is better. Now that he's become one with the weirwood rather than an exiled crippled Prince that everyone thinks is dead.

Also it depends on whether you consider Varys to be a "main credits" character. He's slightly better off, knowing what his ultimate aim is.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Spoiler:
                  Varys is debatable; one could also see him in worse shape, as he is in hiding, having lost his position in court. Bran is more of a lateral move; he may be a bit better off at the end of 5, but it is a small tick up after a steady decline, going through the horrors of the North.

As for Sansa, well, she is under the thumb of Littlefinger, possibly the most evil mother****er in the world, who also is barely restraining himself from getting into her skirts. She is also in hiding, and one of her hunters is now right next to her (unbeknownst to them both). Meanwhile, the Vale is on the brink of civil war. I don't think she is necessarily worse off in 5, but she is in every bit as much danger as she is in the show currently.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Varys is debatable; one could also see him in worse shape, as he is in hiding, having lost his position in court. Bran is more of a lateral move; he may be a bit better off at the end of 5, but it is a small tick up after a steady decline, going through the horrors of the North.

As for Sansa, well, she is under the thumb of Littlefinger, possibly the most evil mother****er in the world, who also is barely restraining himself from getting into her skirts. She is also in hiding, and one of her hunters is now right next to her (unbeknownst to them both). Meanwhile, the Vale is on the brink of civil war. I don't think she is necessarily worse off in 5, but she is in every bit as much danger as she is in the show currently.
                    Spoiler:
                    Me thinks you see it worse for Sansa than it actually is. She has already seemed to have gained a TON of political maturity. It seems like its heading for the pupil to become the master and Sansa to become and Elizabeth like figure (she's already got the red hair ).

As for Varys, he has eliminated ANY intelligent contenders in King's Landing after killing Kevan & Pycelle and has neutered Cersei after her naked mile. In addition his long term plan to bring Aegon back into Westeros is on its way. Varys had to disappear after SoS, but has used the time to his advantage. There is no one of any competence or power in King's Landing standing in the way of his ultimate goal

Comment

• If I don't see someone get ****ed over by a dragon by the end of this season I will be severely pissed off.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        One of my favourite bands did "The Rains of Castamere"...it's on the season 2 soundtrack.

I can't wait to hear this during a certain scene...

I will have many tissues on standby for my wife.

The words from Wiki: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...s_of_Castamere

And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
                        Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.
                        In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
                        And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere, But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
                        Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall, and not a soul to hear
                        Last edited by kittenOFchaos; May 28, 2012, 13:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post

If I don't see someone get ****ed over by a dragon by the end of this season I will be severely pissed off.
                          Hmmm, that makes me wonder if those warlocks in the house of the undying are going to speed grow these dragons. The conversation last episode between Tyrian and the eunuch where they mention the dragons and then shrug and say it'll be many years before they become an issue makes me wonder if they are going to be in for a rude surprise. I mean, I suppose the author can't just spend the next 5 books with baby dragons cooling their heels out in Qath. Maybe that'll be the big surprise at the end of this season, Denariys goes to the house of the undying and, oh ****, the dragons are bigger now.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I don't need to see a dragon attack on a city/castle this season but I want at least one dragon casualty. If I have to wait real time for these beggars to grow up I'm afraid I won't have the endurance.

The glacial pace of the plot development is my biggest gripe with the series (as it relates to TV - this works in novels). When they do speed things up they go too fast and deprive the viewer of any payoff (eg Renly's death).
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• I don't mind the slow pace (except for the stupid snow stuff). I love all the plotting.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• The plotting is fine, who doesn't love a good conspiracy?

The endless stream of new characters (this is what slows things down) is not.

Comment

Working...
                                X