A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lul Thyme View Post
    I never understood this part either. What could they accomplish by all going out that a small scouting group could not accomplish better?
    Potentially come back alive, unlike the last small scouting group they sent out?
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
      Littlefinger really is a political genius in the books. He's the character thinking 5 moves ahead.

(Of course Varys is thinking 6 moves ahead)
      In the show, Tyrion manages to pwn both of them.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I never understood this part either. What could they accomplish by all going out that a small scouting group could not accomplish better?

They have a huge magical wall, and they decide to go freeze their ass in a wilderness that their enemies know better with possibly some weird evil magical creatures lurking around. As far as I know,they don't even know where they are going.
        Some of the rangers spend most of their time north of the wall so its not completely unknown territory.

I always thouight it was a case where they were too few to guard the entire miles and miles of the wall if the wildlings could choose the place and show up in their thousands. Instead 500 guys in the right place could disrupt the plans, perhaps.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I will be curious how they handle the Bran storyline from here on. I actually see him being de-emphasized in favor of the KIngs Landing and Qarth storylines

Sansa they seem to be going true to the book and that will probably continue.

Arya . . . it seems they are mostly true to the books-- they skipped some stuff and changed it a bit but she should end up in exactly the same place

I really like Tyrion-- such a fun little guy

Robb--- just like they did with Margaree, they seem to be giving backstory that did not exist in the book

Favorite moment -- The Hounds first strike!!!
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
            LF openly outs Renly at the tournament.
            This is hardly a secret.

He micro-manages his brothels.
            Fail to see the relevence.

He tries to woo Cat after betraying her husband.
            She is his one true weakness. And money. And power. One of his true weaknesses.

He gets into ****ing contests with Varys
            Again, relevence?
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
              Again, relevence?
              I think the point is that in the books Littlefinger is more subtle-- They are making him a bit more overt in the show. The book Littlefinger would not antagonize anyone for no reason. Everything is calculated

Comment

• You kind of have to beat people over the head with stuff on TV where as in a book you can take two or even three books to spread out the story until everyone gets it.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Did GRRM ever overtly and explicitly refer to Renly as being gay?

When I watched the first season and that guy was shaving Renly's chest, I was thinking, "wow this is really gay. Is it supposed to be this gay?"

Then he started giving Renly a blowjob. I hit fast-forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                    Arya should have revealed her identity to Tywin. Bish, bash, bosh, traded for Jaime.
                    That's a terrible idea. Jamie is her brother's best bargaining chip and keeping her other sister alive. That's a trump card should she need it, but it would be unwise to play it so soon.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

They have a huge magical wall, and they decide to go freeze their ass in a wilderness that their enemies know better with possibly some weird evil magical creatures lurking around. As far as I know,they don't even know where they are going.
                      They're **** bored.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                        Did GRRM ever overtly and explicitly refer to Renly as being gay?

When I watched the first season and that guy was shaving Renly's chest, I was thinking, "wow this is really gay. Is it supposed to be this gay?"

Then he started giving Renly a blowjob. I hit fast-forward.
                        Explicitly? No. But it is implied several time, by several different characters, including Stannis and Jaime, so it is not exactly hidden.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          You kind of have to beat people over the head with stuff on TV where as in a book you can take two or even three books to spread out the story until everyone gets it.
                          I understand TV needs to be more direct and less subtle but I thought that could have been accomplished without making Littlefinger almost stupidly confrontational at times. They could have done a scene or two to show his puppetmaster ways

AS for Renly-- I think that everyone knew he and the knight of Flowers were a bit "close"-- This homosexulaity was far far more emphasized in the show as part of Margaree's earlier introduction to explain her continued maidenhood.

On Renly-- it was never really explained well in book or show why so many people flocked to Renly while his elder brother was there -- I know Stannis was considered unlikable but there was no real objection to his claim--- for the majority of the lords to instead support Renly seems a dangerous precedent for all the elder brothers that are the lords themselves.

Comment

• Renly didn't even settle for a normal Kingsguard. Apparently in the books he had to have a ****ing Extra-Fabulous Fruity Rainbow Guard.

Comment

• But they had fabulous capes.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I'm sure their codpieces were very shiny as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X