No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, we get a whole lot of additional information on the point of view characters in the form of thoughts, dreams, extra chit chat which helps us really figure out what they're thinking & feeling. That means when ever you compare a POV character to a non-POV character the nPOV is always going to look a little flat. You just don't have the extra information which helps you really get into their heads.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
      Now that the whole horseshagger sub-plot has mercifully receded and the quality of the show has picked up, a new weak point has been revealed.

The senior Starks. Aren't they boring?

In series 1 they got away with it. Sean Bean carried them along nicely, and all of the Stark kids have been turning in really spirited performances across both series. But let's just take a look at Kate Stark. This is a woman who has seen-

1- A husband spirited away, betrayed, imprisoned and decapitated.

2- A son rebelling against superior forces and facing death on the battlefield or assassination on a daily basis.

3- Another son maimed.

4- A daughter held hostage by the family's arch-enemies and facing marriage to a monstrous little pervert.

5- Another daughter missing, presumed dead.

6- A king murdered by a mystical smokeyvaginademon in front of her, and getting implicated as his murderer.

And she's reacting to all this by steadily maintaining an expression of mild anxiety as if she can't shake a lingering suspicion that she's left the iron on. Come on, woman! Emote! Go Lady MacBeth for a bit!

Senior Stark son is no better, except he replaces the anxious expression with a slightly petulant Emo teenager sulk, like someone's stolen his bicycle. A leader of men he is not. The Lannister family are managing to be many times more interesting.

What's especially galling in the case of young Lord Stark is that they've got an excellent young actor of similar age in Joe Dempsie. Dempsie has amassed a track record of compelling performances in challenging roles, but in his criminally under-written role he's been asked to do nothing more stretching than sit in a puddle or take his shirt off. He should be playing the Stark role.
      I thought she was British.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Virtually the whole cast is British...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• at least one Dutch and one Turkish...

Comment

• The whole story regarding Stannis is being rewritten, isn't it?
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
              The whole story regarding Stannis is being rewritten, isn't it?
              Not really

So far he seems pretty darn close to the books
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• spoilers:

Spoiler:
                Margery isn't introduced - she stayed at Bitterbridge, and only half of the banners went over to Stannis.

OK, that isn't even the start. Stannis sieges Storms End. Catelyn meets Renley at Bitterbridge, and then Renly finds out about the siege. Renly and Cate go to Storms end, but before they get there Davos and Melisandre go under storms end and use 1 Shadow to kill Courtenay Penrose to take over the castle. Renly turns up, minus his wife and a second shadow kills him, so Briene and Catelyn run away, and half the bannermen and the Tyrells run back to Bitterbridge.

Only then, did Littlefinger leave KL to go to Bitterbridge to talk to the Tyrells.

So right now we've seen Storms End and Bitterbridge condensed into one area, and mixed up a bunch of the stories together. M Tyrell has been developed in such a fashion that isn't seen at all until aFfC...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                  Virtually the whole cast is British...
                  Dinklage ain't, and he's the best part of the show.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Krill: they're just condensing the story. They have to, they're only got ten episodes per season.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I understand condensing, but seriously...what can I say, I think it should have been done differently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                        Now that the whole horseshagger sub-plot has mercifully receded and the quality of the show has picked up, a new weak point has been revealed.

The senior Starks. Aren't they boring?

In series 1 they got away with it. Sean Bean carried them along nicely, and all of the Stark kids have been turning in really spirited performances across both series. But let's just take a look at Kate Stark. This is a woman who has seen-

1- A husband spirited away, betrayed, imprisoned and decapitated.

2- A son rebelling against superior forces and facing death on the battlefield or assassination on a daily basis.

3- Another son maimed.

4- A daughter held hostage by the family's arch-enemies and facing marriage to a monstrous little pervert.

5- Another daughter missing, presumed dead.

6- A king murdered by a mystical smokeyvaginademon in front of her, and getting implicated as his murderer.

And she's reacting to all this by steadily maintaining an expression of mild anxiety as if she can't shake a lingering suspicion that she's left the iron on. Come on, woman! Emote! Go Lady MacBeth for a bit!
                        All very fair comments, but she is playing it very much like the character in the book seems to react.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

• I feel a bit cheated by that whole Mystical TwatNinja incident.

It smacks of a pressing editorial deadline. "OMG OMG! I'VE GOT 3 HOURS TO WRITE HOW A DYNASTIC SCHISM IN THE HOUSE OF BARATHEON DEVELOPS! THE PUBLISHER'S GOING TO HAVE ME STRUNG UP!! Oh, **** it. A mystical smokey TwatNinja climbs out of Witcypoo Hippytits' vagina and kills one of them. Will that do?".

Seeing as it looks like the level of plot resolution you'd normally associate with an episode of "Skippy", I hope they keep this gynaecological newcomer working in a similar way throughout the series. "What's that you say, Mystical TwatNinja? The Stark kids are trapped in the old mineshaft and need rescuing? Crikey!".
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Who is Mystical TwatNinja? Is that the fire witch?
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• No, it's what clambered out of her mimsy.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
                                I understand condensing, but seriously...what can I say, I think it should have been done differently.
                                They ain't gonna introduce Ser Penrose and have two separate shadowbaby assassin incidents when they've only got ten episodes to work with. Moreover, they need to show Margaery, instead of just talking about her until she shows up in book three; TV is visual.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X