A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    You realize you are citing an Awards Show that gave their Best Drama prize to GREY'S ANATOMY one year, right?
    Yes.

See my post above.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
      I support Wezil on this. I think the last 2 or 3 years have marked a big change. A few years ago there were great "must watch" shows from the networks. But I can't think of any new ones that started in the last few years. House is still great but that's ending, that's the only one I can think of.
      I loved House and still watch but I think it went off the rails a few years ago.

And it's not just cable networks it's pretty much entirely HBO and Showtime.

And AMC. Imran rightly notes AMC is the "tamest" of the lot and has programming that could probably go to broadcast TV with few changes. Mad Men would have to lose the smoking, Walking Dead would have to stop shooting kids in the head and The Killing would need to find an ending...

Homeland is currently screening here, it's great.
      I watched that and was most impressed. Looking forward to the DVDs.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• For interest sake, the Emmy lists for the same time period (winner listed first):

2006 24 FOX
        Grey's Anatomy ABC
        House FOX
        The Sopranos HBO
        The West Wing NBC

2007 The Sopranos HBO
        Boston Legal ABC
        Grey's Anatomy
        Heroes NBC
        House FOX

2008 Mad Men AMC
        Boston Legal ABC
        Damages FX
        Dexter Showtime
        House FOX
        Lost ABC

2009 Mad Men AMC
        Big Love HBO
        Breaking Bad AMC
        Damages FX
        Dexter Showtime
        House FOX
        Lost ABC

2010 Mad Men AMC
        Breaking Bad AMC
        Dexter Showtime
        The Good Wife CBS
        Lost ABC
        True Blood HBO

2011 Mad Men AMC
        Boardwalk Empire HBO
        Dexter Showtime
        Friday Night Lights DirecTV/NBC
        Game of Thrones HBO
        The Good Wife CBS

Comment

• Anyway Imran, I've enjoyed the debate but tire of it.

I think your point about financing and dollars is important and I consider it one of the reasons for the change in the past few years. Shows like Game of Thrones can't air on broadcast (regardless of content) simply because they cost too much to produce. Broadcast TV still does comedy well in part for the low cost of producing it compared to drama. This of course also explains the plague of "reality TV" shows. They are cheap to produce.

Also important is format. The ability to write a 40-60 minute episode without the constraints of commercial breaks is liberating from an artistic point of view. This is an inherent liability to which there is no solution for broadcast. They can't get rid of the commercials.

And lastly of course I think the absence of FCC rules (and sponsor opposition as you pointed out earlier) is also a significant artistic freedom enjoyed by cable. They don't have to write with consideration of the censors in the back of their minds and it is reflected in some (not all) of the cable programming.

Comment

• The commericals I can agree with. That has some limitations in writing. However, the lack of FCC goes both ways. I think just about EVERYONE realized that HBO had to include the "Roz" scenes in Game of Thrones because they had to get their "quota" of nudity in every episode. Which takes away from the plot.

As for Mike's point of "Must Watch Shows" - they tend to be the low ratings ones and get canceled for it (a la, Firefly). Though some of broken through like Lost and Once Upon a Time (same writers). Fringe has also had a number of great seasons though it constantly on the bubble. Friday Night Lights had been getting TONS of love (it's a great show) but it required Direct TV to step in and buy it so it could continue.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• You mentioned Weeds earlier...

Did you see their "Breaking Bad" ending last season?

Was it homage or rip-off?

Comment

• I dunno. I stopped watching Weeds during the ghastly 2nd season (though I hear the 3rd season got better).

(I do watch Breaking Bad religiously)
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• edit - Weeds spoiler if anyone is watching but not up to date...

Yeah, Weeds is another one that went off the rails. They reinvented themselves too many times.

Last season ended very similar to Season 3 of BB. A sniper has a bead on Nancy and the screen goes dark as the rifle goes off...
                  Last edited by Wezil; March 15, 2012, 13:56.

Comment

• Spoiler for those who hadn't seen it .

Though I think that's a classic TV trope rather than any rip-off/homage.

Comment

• Though there are a lot of shows who have one great idea but can't sustain it past one great season. Weeds is one (though like I said, I hear it gets better again, but not as good as S1). Walking Dead is the other obvious one. I think one can fit the Tudors in as well, but their 2-4 seasons were ok rather than horrid.

Comment

• Perhaps. It just seemed too soon after BB to be used as a season ender.

Classic Weeds bit. I love how Shane doesn't say a word throughout.

NSFW

Comment

As for West Wing - winner of 4 straight Drama Emmys from 2000 to 2003. I didn't realize 10 years ago was "not current".
                          10 years is ancient in television. In fact, we're about due for a Seinfeld reboot.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Though there are a lot of shows who have one great idea but can't sustain it past one great season. Weeds is one (though like I said, I hear it gets better again, but not as good as S1). Walking Dead is the other obvious one. I think one can fit the Tudors in as well, but their 2-4 seasons were ok rather than horrid.
                            The Walking Dead has made a hell of a comeback in the second half of season 2. Almost on par with season 1.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• One of the guys at work keeps talking about Walking Dead so I may have to rent it or something.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• YOU GOIN LET ME PUT THOSE PAPAYAS IN MEY

DAYAM
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X