No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Due to the current situation sustaining itself. It is one of the reason HBO sometimes goes all RIAA on people.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The fear of them not making any more programming is a distant one. Perhaps they can fix their marketing model before then.

If they want to follow the RIAA example and wage war on their own consumers then I guess they are free to make that mistake.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• I want to pick the set up today if I can bother making the trip. I saw it for $40 (not blu-ray).

How much does it sell for in the US?
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          The fear of them not making any more programming is a distant one. Perhaps they can fix their marketing model before then.
          HBO has a symbotic relationship with the cable companies (there was a very good article on this recently, but I have forgotten where it was). And while HBO GO may become subscription model (though I do wonder how many will pay for a subscription to just one network's shows - perhaps they will have grab streaming rights to movies as well before they can do that, which may jack up the price) in the future, right now it isn't feasible for them.

I'm not saying they won't make any more programming, but the quality and cost of their programming may go down as it has for a lot of broadcast TV.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I believe Game of Thrones is $30 on DVD on Amazon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              I'm not saying they won't make any more programming, but the quality and cost of their programming may go down as it has for a lot of broadcast TV.
              The declining quality of broadcast TV has much to do with the FCC. They have programming restraints not faced by the Cable networks.

Comment

• Yeah, the sexposition was a bit much.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Imagine a show like House wherein the female cast members did the occasional topless scene....

Comment

The declining quality of broadcast TV has much to do with the FCC. They have programming restraints not faced by the Cable networks.
                    How utterly ridiculous. Sex and cursing are found on such treasures of quality programming as HBO's turd "John From Cincinnati".

And it isn't like the shows on acclaimed shows on AMC (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead) labor under more oppressive rules than broadcast TV.

Comment

• Mad Men ---> smoking (Pan Am, a Disney product, from the same era has almost none)
                      Breaking Bad ---> violence
                      Walking Dead ---> violence

Any other examples?

Comment

• For the record - Mad Men is a boring ass show. Ratings be damned.

Comment

• Californication - sex and nudity
                          Weeds - drugs
                          Sopranos - sex, language, violence

The list goes on.

Your kidding yourself Imran if you don't think this plays a part.

Comment

• Wait... you cite VIOLENCE as a reason Breaking Bad is popular? And secondly, have you not seen Grimm or, heck, CSI who has gore levels off the charts.

And Californication is crap. Also there is nothing, aside from advertisers, preventing broadcast shows from having drugs displayed.

This is the weakest argument ever. Are you trying to argue that Entourage is better then Seinfeld because it had nudity and cursing?

Comment

• BTW earlier in this thread we were discussing downloading of content so I thought I'd put this here.

More than half a decade after Swedish police officers first raided The Pirate Bay, there is talk that a second police raid against the world's most famous torrent site is in the planning. The Pirate Bay team has learned that local authorities have acquired warrants to take action against the site, and expect that both servers and the new .se domain name may be targeted soon.

Apparently, The Pirate Bay is claiming that Swedish authorities are once again getting ready to raid their servers. I wonder if they'll be able to keep the website off line for more than one hour this time?
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

For the record - Mad Men is a boring ass show. Ratings be damned.

Yep. It's an overwhelming victory for style over substance.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X