No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winds of Winter sample chapter basically ends any discussion on that score.

edit: the chapter was read out loud by GRRM at Boskone in 2013.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Ok, I didn't know about that chapter. I have only seen the ones that were published online.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        That's what you all are taking from this episode? What about...

Spoiler:
        ...Grey Worm and Barristan (maybe possibly it's not clear) dying?
        Spoiler:
        Grey Worm isn't going to die yet. He still has his plot shield up. In fact, when I was watching that scene, I thought, "Oh man, all those unsullied are gonna die. Oh wait, Grey Worm's there. All those Sons of the Harpy are gonna die."
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Just seen episode 4, and going on hints posted in this thread I was expecting some sort of massacre of great characters. As it turned out, if you'd listed them in the order of most boring descending to least boring, those two would have been near the top. I think we can do without characters whose only role can be summed up as "be really, really loyal. And humourless".
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Yeah, good riddance. There isn't room in my head for two old grey-haired sword-wielding advisors for the titty queen.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Regarding Balon:
              Spoiler:
              What is dead in the books may never die in the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                Just seen episode 4, and going on hints posted in this thread I was expecting some sort of massacre of great characters. As it turned out, if you'd listed them in the order of most boring descending to least boring, those two would have been near the top. I think we can do without characters whose only role can be summed up as "be really, really loyal. And humourless".
                Ser Grandfather is not boring.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  There isn't room in my head.
                  QFT!
                  "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    Indeed. I'm really kind of disappointed about that..

Spoiler:
                    Are they not even going to have Second Battle of Meereen in all its badass-ness? I mean, in the books (sample chapter from Winds of Winter) you have Barristan Selmy leading a host of Unsullied outside the gates to attack the sellsword armies from Yunqai and Astapor, along with Dany's other two dragons, and from the see, Victarion's fleet makes mincemeat of the Slaver's navy. It would have been far more epic than the Battle of the Blackwater
                    Well, seeing as Oerdin already gave the game away blurting out his spoiler about:

Spoiler:
                    Aegon Targaryen/Young Griff not being in the show

My guess is they'll also get rid of a whole bunch of other extraneous characters too (e.g. Ser Barristan Selmy and Grey Worm - though Grey Worm's injuries seemed like they weren't necessarily mortal), such as:

Spoiler:
                    Quentyn Martell and Victarion.

So no fleet battle because well - too expensive to do.

Besides, as HC himself admits, most people watching are simply too thick to keep track of everything - so why not simplify everything as we're already beginning to see...
                    Last edited by I AM MOBIUS; May 5, 2015, 10:20.
                    "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      All I said is the show is decidedly breaking with the book and going their own way. You can guess what ever you want from that but a reasonable person wouldn't call that a spoiler.
                      No, that is not what you said. You said this:

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      Ok, I watched the first three episodes yesterday and will watch the fourth today after work. So far it is quite a good season though it is true the series has broken free of the books and is now doing its own thing (at least 1/2 - 3/4th of the time). The thing is I can't say it is bad that the tv show is finally going it's own way because they are doing it well. They've eliminate most of the confusing subplots and instead crafted one main plot where they have begun to converge the many different story lines back down.

They do lose some of the richness by writing out so many characters but they really have done a good job of repurposing existing characters to fill another part thus avoiding introducing a new character.
                      Nice Ben edit, BTW.

There can only be one logical conclusion (therefore not a guess!) to draw from you running your mouth off like that:

Spoiler:
                      No Aegon Targaryen

Comment

• Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                        Besides, as HC himself admits, most people watching are simply too thick to keep track of everything - so why not simply everything as we're already beginning to see...
                        Fair enough, but still disappointing in its own way.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                          Ser Grandfather is not boring.
                          Well, if I remember correctly, he might have drawn his sword in season 1. And he did it again in last night's episode. In the three seasons falling between those instances, he's just been hanging around being loyal and humourless. If he'd had any less acting to do he'd have stopped being classed as an actor and be considered scenery instead. Like a closet, onto which has been inexplicably nailed a beard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                            Just seen episode 4, and going on hints posted in this thread I was expecting some sort of massacre of great characters. As it turned out, if you'd listed them in the order of most boring descending to least boring, those two would have been near the top. I think we can do without characters whose only role can be summed up as "be really, really loyal. And humourless".
                            In the books Ser Barristan serves a good role of relating to Denarys her family history plus he is a point of view character so lots of his thoughts are known to readers (and they do indeed advance the plotline) but it is hard to do that in tv.

Comment

• Double post.
                              Last edited by Dinner; May 5, 2015, 22:06.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                                In the books Ser Barristan serves a good role of relating to Denarys her family history

That is not a character. That is exposition.

Comment

Working...
                                X