No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was the one, I had forgotten the name.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosh View Post
      Yeah, same here. HOWEVER, most winters and summers are pretty short. Big long decade-long and counting summers like the ones the TV show are VERY rare. Some ways to deal with winter:
      -Greenhouses built around hot springs.
      -Storing up food, you can store up a lot when you growing seasons back to back to back for years.
      -Importing food from the south (even in winter it doesn't snow if you get close enough to the equator).
      -Dying and stuff. If winters are long there's a big die off. Fatking mentions in the show that the North has as much land as the rest of the kingdoms combined, places were the winter is wtfcoldi'mgonnadie have a low population carrying capacity and not many people so any resources they have don't get stretched too thing.

Humans surviving I can understand, my bigger question is what happens to the deer.

As far as what Jon says there is temperature variance during winters (thaws and whatnot) but it isn't clear if they're long enough to get a good growing season in if you're in the north. But keep in mind that a lot of people live in places relatively close to the tropics and having a three year winter doesn't matter too much there unless it's a really really really really bad winter.
      Then again I don't recall seeing a single farm or herd of sheep on the show so far so it is possible all their food just gets conjured out of thin air.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Yup, period piece moving never ever showing any food production of any sort unless they absolutely have to gets really annoying some times. Can't they CGI some ****ing wheat into the background?
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• come to think of it we havent seen two horses **** yet. are we supposed to belive they are summoned thru magic? or maybe thos rumors where correct and the dothraki **** there horses. if so does the seven kingdomes keep a stable of dothrakis around to breed new horses? i demand we get an entire episode dedicated to the matter.

Comment

• If you do get that special episode explaining that horses have sex and make foals, in keeping with the rest of the series it'll be handled by having another new character pop up to have a lengthy conversation about the history of horses having sex, and how horse-sex varies among each of the great families of the seven kingdoms. Before buggering off and leaving anyone who hasn't read the books wondering what the hell that was supposed to achieve.

Cue the book-readers going "Don't worry! The point of the horse-sex speech will become clear in episode 17 of series 84!".
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• ****ing Time-Warner!!!!!

They don't have an agreement with HBOgo, so I can't watch the next episode.

What a crock of ****.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• I've been waiting for this episode all season

Comment

• I am becoming increasingly concerned that one television series is not enough to contain the sheer magnitude of awesome that is Tyrion Lannister.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• what would have happene if she could not hold down the horse heart?

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                      I am becoming increasingly concerned that one television series is not enough to contain the sheer magnitude of awesome that is Tyrion Lannister.
                      No, no there is not. His awesome only increases as his entourage grows.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I am becoming increasingly concerned that one television series is not enough to contain the sheer magnitude of awesome that is Tyrion Lannister.

It is good that there is someone on the Lannister side who we can root for instead of just a black & white good vs. bad type story.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• crown me

Comment

Indeed.

I'm thrilled they got a capable actor to play him. I was worried, as the acting pool for little people is pretty small (Vern Troyer...)
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              as the acting pool for little people is pretty small
                              har, har, har

Comment

• I truly find it hard to believe that he can get more awesome. Arya fits into that category as well.

I could murder Joffrey and Sansa with a smile on my face without a second thought, however.

A couple interesting, subtle differences in the book I've noticed thus far: in the show, Jaime is positively gleeful when he tries to kill Bran, while he seemed reluctant to do so in the book. In the show, he appears to be dominant over Cersei, while the book paints the opposite picture. Catelyn is also less likable in the book, primarily due to her ****ty treatment of Jon.

Complete speculation, as my reading is still a couple "episodes" behind, but I'm getting the sense that it was not the Lannisters at all who tried to kill Bran with the dagger. I'm not sure who else would benefit from full-blown war between the Starks and Lannisters, other than Dany, who is clearly not behind it.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X