A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court refuses trial by combat

A court has rejected a 60-year-old man's attempt to invoke the ancient right to trial by combat, rather than pay a £25 fine for a minor motoring offence.

Leon Humphreys remained adamant yesterday that his right to fight a champion nominated by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) was still valid under European human rights legislation. He said it would have been a "reasonable" way to settle the matter.

Magistrates sitting at Bury St Edmunds on Friday had disagreed and instead of accepting his offer to take on a clerk from Swansea with "samurai swords, Ghurka knives or heavy hammers", fined him £200 with £100 costs.

Humphreys, an unemployed mechanic, was taken to court after refusing to pay the original £25 fixed penalty for failing to notify the DVLA that his Suzuki motorcycle was off the road.

After entering a not guilty plea, he threw down his unconventional challenge. Humphreys, from Bury St Edmunds, said: "I was willing to fight a champion put up by the DVLA, but it would have been a fight to the death."
    Quendelie axan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
      Was the longsword wielder heavily armored? If he was wearing as little as a cuirass, my money would be on the knife guy, assuming competence on the part of the combatants. The knifer ought to be able to win with greater speed - or leave the fight at will versus a heavily-armored opponent.

Any parrying happening is a joke, of course.
      If the fight were choreographed that way it would have made more sense. But no, dagger guy just blocks a big ****ing quasi-magical greatsword like it was a wiffle ball bat.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• I don't know what your problem is, Felch. He's clearly a Rogue and uses Dexterity to make attacks.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          SPOILERS, OERDIN... jeez, you loser, non-book readers read this thread.
          They already had the scene with Stannis and the Iron bank, you loser. If it already aired it is fair game and we don't have to spoiler it. We've gone over this before with HC.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Yea, I didn't see any spoilers in that bit, it all happened in Sundays episode
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
              If the fight were choreographed that way it would have made more sense. But no, dagger guy just blocks a big ****ing quasi-magical greatsword like it was a wiffle ball bat.
              I don't think it was a great sword. Ned's sword was a great sword but Long Claw was more of a bastard sword.

Comment

Well Stanis got money from the Iron Bank in this episode, so I don't know what he's spoiling. Unless you're just teasing him.
                Ie, saying Stannis gets the money by the Iron Bank in Book 5 basically lets the cat out of the bag that he survives until Book 5 - considering Martin's calling card is killing off characters, saying someone is still alive be spoiler.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

My nerd OCD tendencies always ruin Highlander a little for me on the same grounds. The swordfights were bull****. Two unarmored guys good at what they're doing, and the one with the katanna wins against the broadsword every time, I don't care how strong the Kurgan was... It's how Connor actually won, only bull**** it wasn't an hour earlier.

And it's too bad, 'cause Highlander otherwise rocks pretty hard.
                  AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                  JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    I don't know what your problem is, Felch. He's clearly a Rogue and uses Dexterity to make attacks.
                    So you're saying Jon should have invested in an Improved Sunder Weapon feat. Makes sense.

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                    I don't think it was a great sword. Ned's sword was a great sword but Long Claw was more of a bastard sword.
                    Yeah, I looked it up and you're right. Still a bastard sword is a huge hunk of metal compared to Karl's dinky little piece of cutlery. And the strength of Valyrian steel should have counted for something too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                      My nerd OCD tendencies always ruin Highlander a little for me on the same grounds. The swordfights were bull****. Two unarmored guys good at what they're doing, and the one with the katanna wins against the broadsword every time, I don't care how strong the Kurgan was... It's how Connor actually won, only bull**** it wasn't an hour earlier.

And it's too bad, 'cause Highlander otherwise rocks pretty hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        Ie, saying Stannis gets the money by the Iron Bank in Book 5 basically lets the cat out of the bag that he survives until Book 5 - considering Martin's calling card is killing off characters, saying someone is still alive be spoiler.
                        I could kind of sort of see that though I was talking about how Stannis was being shown going to Braavos in the last episode when in the books he didn't and instead got help from the Iron Bank in the next book. I think it's pretty fair to talk about how they moved events around in the last episode and changed things from the books especially when the event in question was already shown on the TV series (albeit in a heavily modified way).

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          The scene where Theon's sister attacks the Dreadfort. The Iron Islands are on the west coast of Westeros while the Dreadfort is on the east coast and well inland. That means she'd have to sail all the way around westeros (the equivalent of going from Denmark to say Greece) in order to get there and then the castle is still well inland. It was just a terrible scene.
                          While the scene was stupid, she did say that she was going to sail all the way to the Shivering Sea, and up whatever river the Dreadfort is on (name escapes me).
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Also, as to "saying someone is still alive in book five is a spoiler," well, sure, a year or two ago. The show is adapting book five storylines already, so it isn't much of a spoiler at this point.

Comment

• I can think of one character for whom being alive at the beginning of book 5 is a MASSIVE spoiler.

Spoiler:
                              well sort of alive anyway

Comment

• Well, yeah, that.

Otherwise though, presumably the people who only watch the show don't really know where in the books this storyline or that storyline come from, so I don't think that is a huge deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X