No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think he might have stopped caring or written himself into a corner. Honestly, I think his writing is mediocre. He's very imaginative, and the detail of the world he creates is mostly what makes the books fun, but his characters and plots largely aren't interesting. There are a few winners, sure, but most are totally forgettable.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Next book, in full-

"Chapter 1.

And then Ned Stark woke up and realised it had all been a dream.

The End."
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
        I notice that HBO might NOT even wait for him to finish it and do it themselves if he takes too long...
        Oh Hell. That's going to lead to numerous insufferable internet threads on "WHICH ENDING IS BETTER: HBO'S OR GRRM'S"
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          Oh Hell. That's going to lead to numerous insufferable internet threads on "WHICH ENDING IS BETTER: HBO'S OR GRRM'S"
          That would require GRRM actually writing an ending
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Don't worry he'll probably die first; no arguments to be had then. He's only a year younger than Clancy.

Comment

• And Clancy was relatively in shape where as Martin is badly over weight. NPR mentioned that just climbing stairs to the second story of his newly remodeled 100 year old single screen movie theater left him huffing and out of breath.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                I think he might have stopped caring or written himself into a corner. Honestly, I think his writing is mediocre. He's very imaginative, and the detail of the world he creates is mostly what makes the books fun, but his characters and plots largely aren't interesting. There are a few winners, sure, but most are totally forgettable.
                What makes his books most fun are the hidden plots, the puzzles, the hints, the foreshadowing, the unpredictable plots. There's so much going on in these books that you miss on first read or casual read. I can imagine that that's not a cup of thee for everyone, but it makes his work really epic and great.
                The rich details make it more real, but also a tad bit boring imho.

He had painted himself into a corner, but with the end of ADWD he got out of that.
                The hardest part were the latest 2 books, which was the 'bridge' between the 2 parts of the original idea, which in the early concept of GRRM would be seperated by a 5 years gap. He then got rid of the gap, and needed those 2 books to get from part A to B.

At first read those books weren't the best indeed, but still a very good read.
                Now I'm on my 2nd read, and actually the books are a lot better!

Still wonder why that Quinten Martell had to be included.
                I still don't see what it added to the story, and I have never read any serious reason anywhere on the web, and I've done quite some research.
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• I still think Dorne as a whole was an unnecessary extra. Sure maybe a couple of Dornish characters hinting at Dorne, but not a whole panoply of extra characters and a whole new region! He could have simply fleshed that out in this new companion 'world book' he's creating. Which, if you ask me, is also a vehicle to buy him time to come up with ways to finish the books...

As Oerdin says, he looks like he could die at any moment. I was pretty shocked when I first saw a picture of him when the new book came out last year and thought there was a definite chance that he wouldn't live to finish the series.

Maybe we should all speculate on endings? Tyrion and Danaerys join forces and create dwarf dragon offspring to rule the world and live happily ever after? They seem like his favourite characters.
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                    And Clancy was relatively in shape where as Martin is badly over weight. NPR mentioned that just climbing stairs to the second story of his newly remodeled 100 year old single screen movie theater left him huffing and out of breath.
                    Didn't Clancy smoke?
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                      Still wonder why that Quinten Martell had to be included.
                      I still don't see what it added to the story, and I have never read any serious reason anywhere on the web, and I've done quite some research.
                      The Martells, as rulers of Dorne, will play a big role in the coming war for control of Westeros.

Comment

• Dorne does indeed seem to be very important to the ending. It appears Arianne Martell will try to link up with Aegon and Jon Connington and Dorne will link up with the Targaryens. I think Dorne's adventures with Myrcella and Quentin are supposed to indicate how much Dorne isn't that happy with the Usurpers' kingdom and rather would declare for Targaryens than anyone else. And Martin isn't going to introduce characters without giving an indepth backstory - he's as interested in creating a detailed world as he is about telling the story of the result of the Aerys's madness.

I like the series for as much as the detailed world as the plot. So I do enjoy the in depth treatment of Dorne - its one of my favorite locations in the series.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Agreed.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I think I'm most interesting in finding out what happens with the Jon Snow cliff hanger.

Comment

• Behind the scenes sneak peak at season 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X