No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm beginning to really like Maisie Williams. Her imitation of a southern yokel is great.
    The entertainment network where videos and personalities get really big, really fast. Download Vine to watch videos, remixes and trends before they blow up.

Oh, and it does appear to be real: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...=feeds-newsxml
    Last edited by Dinner; June 4, 2013, 01:58.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Yeah, I was viewing through the rankings of Fantasy Books, and saw how high GOT ranked, but also noted that most of those polls have been done after the HBO series started. I'm sure that has helped considerably. Granted they were bestsellers prior but a lot of fantasy novels have been bestsellers.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• How many fantasy novels were considered for a TV series on HBO?

There is a reason HBO was interested in the project.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Yeah, sex, violence and dragons. I would be willing to bet that almost any series they choose would have gotten a big boost.

Don't mistake my comments to mean that I think GOT sucks. I liked it a lot and only lost interest when the author seemed to put it aside. But in the grand scheme of things I'm, not willing to concede that it was the best Fantasy series of all time.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
            Yeah, sex, violence and dragons. I would be willing to bet that almost any series they choose would have gotten a big boost.
            Um, you are putting the cart before the horse. HBO decided to take a chance on this series, they weren't just in the market for any fantasy series. They were only interested in a Song of Ice and Fire.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• They were only interested in a Song of Ice and Fire.
              If there was no sex, violence and dragons I doubt the would have been as interested.
              Again, I'm not saying it sucks, I'm just saying that many series would have benefited from the same type of thing.

The HBO exposure has given this series an incredible boost. Look how many new/special book releases there have been since the series began. How many people do you think picked it up after watching? I highly doubt it would be ranked 1 or 2 on so many lists without HBO.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• You mean fantasy readers would have not been interested in an award winning fantasy franchise .

Especially when Time Magazine starts calling the author "The American Tolkien" (all before the TV series, mind).

Comment

• You two are being deliberately obtuse? Of course you are both right.

They were popular and successful before HBO but they weren't all conquering like they are now. Now can we move on?
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

• They were popular and successful before HBO but they weren't all conquering like they are now. Now can we move on?
                    That's what I was saying. Thanks for agreeing.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, sex, violence and dragons. I would be willing to bet that almost any series they choose would have gotten a big boost.

Don't mistake my comments to mean that I think GOT sucks. I liked it a lot and only lost interest when the author seemed to put it aside. But in the grand scheme of things I'm, not willing to concede that it was the best Fantasy series of all time.
                      He does seem to love putting lots of other stuff in front of actually finishing the series. I think these delays do effect quality too as the story lagged there for a couple books but maybe that's just because he's setting things up for the finale.

Comment

Yeah, sex, violence and dragons.
                        Which just so happens to be the title of the book I'm writing.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I guess I'll be reading it soon after then. Feel free to add "drugs" into the title.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                            Which just so happens to be the title of the book I'm writing.
                            "Sex, Violence, and Dragons or How to make a great fantasy series."

Comment

• In the last episode there was a scene in Denerys's plot where three guys (cant spell their names correctly) went into the besieged city to open the main gates.
                              They were sort of ambushed.... twice? Aaand then they won.

So what really happened there? I guess there were more details in the books.
                              Quendelie axan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                                In the last episode there was a scene in Denerys's plot where three guys (cant spell their names correctly) went into the besieged city to open the main gates.
                                They were sort of ambushed.... twice? Aaand then they won.

So what really happened there? I guess there were more details in the books.

Never happens in the books. In the books, Yunkai just basically surrenders after their mercs switch sides, and their chosen champion is easily dispatched by Dany's (a character who isn't in the show).
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X