A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
    A little harsh, I think. I always cry when Sam thinks Frodo is dead.
    Seriously? You bring that up in a thread about ASOIAF? That someone appeared to die made you cry?

WTF.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• To be fair, there is a fair bit of "so-and-so is dead! ... NO THEY AREN'T!" in ASOIAF, too.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
        Seriously? You bring that up in a thread about ASOIAF? That someone appeared to die made you cry?

WTF.
        I was exaggerating for rhetorical effect. It is a love scene after all, to be fair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          To be fair, there is a fair bit of "so-and-so is dead! ... NO THEY AREN'T!" in ASOIAF, too.
          Spoiler:
          Davos!

Comment

• Shame on you!
            There is nothing wrong by being emotionally touched by good literature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              I have always meant to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance...Three_Kingdoms

and War and Peace was amazing.

JM
              War & Peace was indeed well worth the read. My aunt bought it for me right before I left for Kosovo in 2000 and it took several months of reading parts in my spare time but did manage to finish it all. Cort could say the author spent a lot of time on extraneous detail and could have shortened it up considerably, that would be fair, but one of the cool things is he was so detailed describing whole rooms and what everyone wore and how they acted so well that it is almost a case book study in what life was like in Tsarist Russia. The level of detail and realism was just that good.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                I've no idea- but if it was, it wasn't edited well. And as for all the others...

It's H P Lovecraft Syndrome. Great imagination, but little technical skill as a writer.
                Agreed. I really didn't like the LOTR books.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                  To be fair, there is a fair bit of "so-and-so is dead! ... NO THEY AREN'T!" in ASOIAF, too.
                  It was more that so few important characters actually die in LotR, that I can't get any real sense of loss form the writing, and that just doesn't happen in ASOIAF.

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                  I was exaggerating for rhetorical effect. It is a love scene after all, to be fair.
                  Just wondering, but are there any real love scenes in ASOIAF? Which is funny, when you think about all the nude scenes in the TV series.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• *cough* Gandalf

Comment

Just wondering, but are there any real love scenes in ASOIAF? Which is funny, when you think about all the nude scenes in the TV series.
                      There's the horrible one with
                      Spoiler:
                      Sam and Gilly
                      and the somewhat less horrible
                      Spoiler:
                      Jon and Ygritte
                      ones.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Apart from Dany's various emotional spasms, I think the nearest is the odd moment between Jaime and Brienne - emotionally rather than physically

Comment

• Gandalf dies? All I saw was he fell off a bride and miraculously survived. It really proves my point more than anything.

Comment

Gandalf dies? All I saw was he fell off a bride and miraculously survived. It really proves my point more than anything.
                            He dies and gets sent back in his new incarnation.

Comment

• That's the ****ing point. LotR = crap writing with little emotional investment and tons of dei ex machinae, ASOIAF = huge piles of dead bodies (and that isn't a spoiler) and real shock at the events.

Comment

• Let's not get too proud of the lack of deus ex machina in the series that wiped out a key player via mystical vagina ninja.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X