No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass starvation and eating a lot of fish is pretty much all I can come up with.

Comment

• I guessed that it changed those that lived in the warmer climates to climates similar to what is i Sweden/etc.

Or maybe what is in Northern Canada.

Anyways, people can live off a lot of meat... and sea stuff...

I guess you would hope for a lot of onions/etc?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I guessed that it changed those that lived in the warmer climates to climates similar to what is i Sweden/etc.

Or maybe what is in Northern Canada.

Anyways, people can live off a lot of meat... and sea stuff...

I guess you would hope for a lot of onions/etc?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• At one point they mention that they freeze a hell of a lot of meat inside the wall, but that's only to feed the watch.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Bad winters last 10 years, good ones, not as long according to the books.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• There have to be some places where crops grow even in the winter, along with good granaries.

Comment

• Yeah, it appears it is only the far North maybe down to the neck that experiences the deep freeze, so I suppose the South could still survive a good stretch given proper preps and tightening the belt. Maybe they can even supply the North A bit.

Interestingly Bravos is on roughly the same latitude as White Harbor and they don't seem to suffer any sort of winter trouble as far as I can tell. Maybe Essos gets some warming from a gulf stream type current through the Narrow Sea similar to Erope? Again, who knows.

Another thing I would like to know about winters is daylight duration. It seems that during the last really long winter when the Others came last they also talk a lot about extended periods of night. If so I am curious for how long and how far south this phenomenon goes. Obviously we have similar periods in the extreme north in real life, but nothing like for the duration of winters in these books.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• What planet does the story take place on?

Comment

• Mars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      It's a wall of ice a thousand miles long and taller than the Washington Monument--it has to be a significant fraction of all the freshwater--or just water, period, on the entire planet.
                      As opposed to Antarctica's ice shield, which is up to two miles thick and covers most of a 14,000,000 km square continent?
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Hm. Good point.

Comment

• OK, well then let's ask, how do people in Winterfell survive the century long winters?

If Westeros and Essos are the only major landmasses on the planet then the planet's surface must be more watery than Earth's. You'd think that would ameliorate major climate changes.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                            OK, well then let's ask, how do people in Winterfell survive the century long winters?
                            Originally posted by Krill View Post
                            Bad winters last 10 years, good ones, not as long according to the books.
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Even 10 years would outstretch their ability to store food.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                                OK, well then let's ask, how do people in Winterfell survive the century long winters?

If Westeros and Essos are the only major landmasses on the planet then the planet's surface must be more watery than Earth's. You'd think that would ameliorate major climate changes.
                                There is at least one more major continent to the south.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X