• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dem white suthernurs shore are smart!

46 Percent of Mississippi Republicans Want Interracial Marriage Banned
    Apr 8, 2011 – 8:24 AM

Lauren Frayer

A new poll gauging Mississippi Republicans' preferences going into the 2012 election ended up revealing something more startling: 46 percent of GOP voters in the state think interracial marriage should be illegal.

Results were announced Thursday by Public Policy Polling, a polling firm based in North Carolina. The company asked 400 Republican primary voters about their preferences for candidates for state and national offices, as well as their views on interracial marriage.

In Mississippi, 46 percent of GOP primary voters think interracial marriage should be illegal, according to a new poll. Only 40 percent said it should be permitted. Another 14 percent said they were unsure.

It was only 45 years ago that Mississippi legalized interracial marriage, and this poll indicates it continues to be a controversial subject.

The poll also found that Mississippi Republicans back Haley Barbour, their outgoing governor, to run for president on the GOP ticket in 2012. Barbour had 37 percent of respondents' support, followed by Mike Huckabee with 19 percent and Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin tied for third place with 10 percent each.

The PPP poll also revealed that Palin has more support among voters who believe interracial marriage should be illegal than among those who are OK with it. Mitt Romney's numbers reveal just the opposite. He has a higher favorability among Mississippi Republicans who want interracial marriage to remain legal.

The poll was conducted by telephone between March 24 and 27 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percent.

PPP describes itself as a nonpartisan polling firm, but it has been described in other media as a Democratic-leaning company.

The firm also conducted a separate poll of non-Republican voters, asking them the same question about interracial marriage. Those results are expected to be released in the coming weeks, along with those from another PPP poll asking Mississippi voters whether they think the right side -- the North or South -- won the Civil War.
    Those gosh darn white suthernurs.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Here is wikipedia's information about Barbour's perception on race:

Race and integration

Barbour has faced considerable "in-state criticism for his approach to racial issues."[52] Mississippi state Representative Willie Perkins has "compared Barbour to the southern Democrats who preceded him," saying: "As far as I'm concerned, he has never done anything as a governor or a citizen to distinguish himself from the old Democrats who fought tooth and nail to preserve segregation."[52]

On an April 11, 2010, appearance on CNN, host Candy Crowley asked if it had been insensitive for Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell to omit mentioning slavery in a proposed recognition of Confederate History Month. Barbour replied, "To me, it's a sort of feeling that it's a nit, that it is not significant, that it's not a—it's trying to make a big deal out of something doesn't amount to diddly".[53] Barbour continued on CNN, “I don’t know what you would say about slavery...but anybody that thinks that you have to explain to people that slavery is a bad thing, I think that goes without saying”.[54]

In December 2010, Barbour was interviewed by The Weekly Standard magazine. Asked about coming of age in Yazoo City during the civil rights era, Barbour told the interviewer regarding growing up there, "I just don't remember it as being that bad."[55] Barbour then credited the White Citizens' Council for keeping the KKK out of Yazoo City and ensuring the peaceful integration of its schools. Barbour dismissed comparisons between the White Citizens' Councils and the KKK, and referred to the Councils as "an organization of town leaders." Barbour continued in his defense of the Councils, saying, "In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their ass run out of town. If you had a job, you’d lose it. If you had a store, they’d see nobody shopped there. We didn’t have a problem with the Klan in Yazoo City." Barbour's statement did not address the role of the white supremacist group in publicly naming and blacklisting individuals who petitioned for educational integration[56] and how it used political pressure and violence to force African-American residents to move.[57] This led to a considerable outcry in which critics such as Rachel Maddow accused Barbour of whitewashing history.[58] In response to criticism, Barbour issued a statement declaring Citizens' Councils to be "indefensible."[59]

In what some[who?] have speculated was an attempt at damage control just days after the interview, Barbour suspended the prison sentences of Jamie and Gladys Scott, two African American women who received life sentences resulting from a 1993 mugging in which the two women stole $11.[60][61] Barbour has denied that there was any connection between the suspension of the Scott sisters' prison sentence and the controversy surrounding his Weekly Standard interview. Jamie Scott suffered from kidney failure while in prison, and requires a donated organ, which her sister Gladys has offered to do. Barbour's decision to release the Scott sisters, however, is contingent upon the promised organ donation by Gladys Scott, which critics have argued amounts to coercion and raises questions of medical ethics.[62]

Comment

The firm also conducted a separate poll of non-Republican voters, asking them the same question about interracial marriage. Those results are expected to be released in the coming weeks, along with those from another PPP poll asking Mississippi voters whether they think the right side -- the North or South -- won the Civil War.
      They conducted that at the same time, why did they only release this?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I posted a link to this in my interesting news thread. :mucked:
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I guess it wasn't sufficiently interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            Probably because the results are not that different and would ruin their REPUG bashing.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Mr. Fun thought it was.

Comment

We know what real patriots believe:

The only good rebel, is a dead rebel. - General William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                  Mr. Fun thought it was.
                  Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                    Probably because the results are not that different and would ruin their REPUG bashing.

Comment

There are numerous spelling errors in this thread's title.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's written in the southern dialect.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                          We know what real patriots believe:
                          I still get a little hard when I think about Sherman's March.
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                            Probably bias. But then, they said they are going to release that information too.

Comment

Does MrFun have any studies to support the assertion that white Americans are more opposed to miscegenation than non-white Americans, or is he being racist as usual?
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X