Memorable song lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
    Lupe was trying to be a little more advanced than just 'evil KKK **** them all'.

I'm not surprised that sympathy for the Klan would appeal to you...
    It's not sympathy for the Klan. It's that Lupe went a little deeper than that. In those short four bars, he references the economic origins of racism and cleverly describes the similarity in economic power.

Come on... can't burn his cross because he can't afford the gasoline! Tell me that is not a hot line.

Lupe does stuff like this. On his latest album, he has a song, 'All Black Everything' in which he re-imagines a role reversal in history:

Fred Astaire was the first to do a backspin
    The rat pack was a cool group of black men
    That inspired five white guys called the Jacksons
    Eminem fitted in but then again he inspired a black rapper trying to mimic him
    And that's what really rose up out of Michigan, signed a white rapper by the name of 50 cent
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Umm... Thoth called me out. It's no protest too much when he specifically called me out. made a very obvious troll
      FTFY.

:hugs:
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

In those short four bars, he references the economic origins of racism and cleverly describes the similarity in economic power.

Yes, because the plantation owners who founded the Klan were responding to poverty.

Comment

Yup, they wanted to drive the price of cotton up by buying up all cloth in the region and creating new fashion trends.

Comment

In those short four bars, he references the economic origins of racism and cleverly describes the similarity in economic power.

Yes, because the plantation owners who founded the Klan were responding to poverty.
            The average modern day white supremacist... would you consider him in a privileged position of power? No. Neo-Nazis and the Klan or whatever else prey upon the disenfranchised, poor, and imprisoned for membership.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

No, rich white people have just learned to hide their racism better these days.

Comment

"Dead puppies
                Dead puppies
                Dead puppies aren't much fun

They don't come when you call
                They don't chase squirrels at all

My puppy died late last fall
                He's still rotting in the hall
                Dead puppies aren't much fun, no no no
                Mom says puppy's days are through
                She's going to throw him in the stew

Dead puppies
                (Dead dead dead) dead puppies

(Come on everybody out there, sing along ok?)

(Dead dead dead) dead puppies aren't much fun

(One more time for rolling resca)
                Dead puppies
                Dead puppies"

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

No, rich white people have just learned to hide their racism better these days.
                  So are they the power behind the Klan and Stormfront or whatever else?

So their membership doesn't come from the poor white trash?

Comment

It’s Friday, Friday
                    Gotta get down on Friday
                    Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend
                    Friday, Friday
                    Gettin’ down on Friday
                    Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
                    Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
                    Fun, fun, fun, fun
                    Lookin’ forward to the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      So are they the power behind the Klan and Stormfront or whatever else?
                      Of course.

So their membership doesn't come from the poor white trash?
                      The Klan has always had poor white trash members as well as wealthy white members. Economic status is irrelevant as a cause of white racism.

Comment

Whatever, Drake. It was a good four bars.

Comment

Sorry, 'Tupac'... another Lupe:

Complain about the liquor store but what you drinking liquor for?
                          Complain about the gloom but when’d you pick a broom up?
                          Just listening to Pac aint gone make it stop
                          A rebel in your thoughts, aint gon make it halt
                          If you don’t become an actor you’ll never be a factor

He goes on to say...

I think that all the silence is worse than all the violence
                          Fear is such a weak emotion thats why I despise it
                          We scared of almost everything, afraid to even tell the truth
                          So scared of what you think of me, I’m scared of even telling you
                          Sometimes I’m like the only person I feel safe to tell it to
                          I’m locked inside a cell in me, I know that there’s a jail in you
                          Consider this your bailing out, so take a breath, inhale a few
                          My screams is finally getting free, my thoughts is finally yelling through

Wasalu Muhammad Jaco aka Lupe Fiasco

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                            Sometimes you're the windshield,
                            Sometimes you're the bug.

Sometimes it all comes together,
                            Sometimes you're a fool in love.

[Mark Knopfler]

I preferred Mary Chapin Carpenter's cover version, but was probably unduly influenced by driving around to it when in California in glorious sunny weather, one November...

...when I also grew to love:

I'm a town in Carolina, I'm a detour on a ride
                            For a phone call and a soda, I'm a blur from the driver's side
                            I'm the last gas for an hour if you're going twenty-five
                            I am Texaco and tobacco, I am dust you leave behind

I am peaches in September, and corn from a roadside stall
                            I'm the language of the natives, I'm a cadence and a drawl
                            I'm the pines behind the graveyard, and the cool beneath their shade, where the boys have left their beer cans
                            I am weeds between the graves.

My porches sag and lean with old black men and children
                            Their sleep is filled with dreams, I never can fulfill them
                            I am a town.

I am a church beside the highway where the ditches never drain
                            I'm a Baptist like my daddy, and Jesus knows my name
                            I am memory and stillness, I am lonely in old age; I am not your destination
                            I am clinging to my ways
                            I am a town.

I'm a town in Carolina, I am billboards in the fields
                            I'm an old truck up on cinder blocks, missing all my wheels
                            I am Pabst Blue Ribbon, American, and "Southern Serves the South"
                            I am tucked behind the Jaycees sign, on the rural route
                            I am a town
                            I am a town
                            I am a town
                            Southbound.
                            'I Am A Town', Mary Chapin Carpenter

I have only to hear this to be reminded of stunning sunsets, ghost towns in Nevada and a charming woman in the De Young Museum...
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                              and a charming woman in the De Young Museum...
                              Whats wrong with this (mental) picture?
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

a fable

Rush » The Trees

There is unrest in the forest
                                There is trouble with the trees
                                For the maples want more sunlight
                                And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
                                (And they're quite convinced they're right)
                                They say the oaks are just too lofty
                                And they grab up all the light
                                But the oaks can't help their feelings
                                If they like the way they're made
                                And they wonder why the maples
                                Can't be happy in their shade

There is trouble in the forest
                                And the creatures all have fled
                                As the maples scream 'Oppression!'
                                And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
                                And demanded equal rights
                                'The oaks are just too greedy
                                We will make them give us light'
                                Now there's no more oak oppression
                                For they passed a noble law
                                And the trees are all kept equal
                                By hatchet, axe and saw
                                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                                X