Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoot a cop, wreck your house

Cops Tear Down House to Get Suspect
    Officers said shots were fired from a residence as the canine handler responded to a domestic dispute callMonday, Apr 4, 2011 | Updated 1:25 PM

By Jonathan Lloyd and Olsen Ebright
    Forget battering rams. Police are using a construction crane to rip apart a home in Sylmar to reach a suspected gunman.

The building's destruction began late Monday morning when officers used the crane to smash a window and deploy tear gas and later "hot gas."

In response, the suspect fired shots from the residence, prompting police to return fire. No officers were hit, and it was unclear if the suspect was wounded, said LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman.

The structural damage was escalated around noon as police used the crane to rip apart walls in the back of the home. Aerial video showed the majority of the second floor exposed, as well as at least one room on the first floor.

The suspect was holed up in the residence after allegedly shooting LAPD canine handler Steve Jenkins.

Condition The suspect is described as a Hispanic man in his 50s. Police made numerous unsuccessful attempts to make contact with him, Neiman said.

Officer Recovering at Hospital

Jenkins is in critical but stable condition and expected to survive, said a trauma surgeon.

The 22-year veteran of the force was shot about 2:15 a.m. Monday in the 13600 block of Dronfield Avenue in Sylmar while responding to a domestic dispute report, said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck.

Late Monday morning, trauma surgeon Bradley Roth said Jenkins is stable and sedated. The officer has two breathing tubes in his chest to help drain blood. Jenkins was shot in the face and the left clavicle.

Roth said the patient is expected to survive; however, the surgeon could not speculate on any complications that may arise as a result of the injuries.

Jenkins has a wife and son who are both LAPD officers, Beck said.

Copyright City News Service / NBC Los Angeles

Over the top, or resonable way to deny a gunman cover?

Be sure to check the photo.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Way over the top.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Police are getting out of control

Comment

They certainly are. Had they been smarter they could have probably sold the house at auction.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd hate to be that guy's insurance agent.

Comment

They should have called the nearest bank. Banks are really good at getting people out of houses.

Comment

Meh... kinda a neat tool, especially in light of the fact they got the robotic crane thing because they recently had a SWAT member killed in action. Why put the cops at risk when there are other alternatives?
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I don't see that this is necessarily a bad decision. Let's say they did 200k in damage. What is the life of a suspect or a cop worth? 6-8 mill is usually the assumption. If there is a 3% chance it saved a life, then it's worth it.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"Jenkins no! Send in Robo-crane!"

Comment

This is bad because it's like the polar opposite of Killdozer.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      I don't see that this is necessarily a bad decision. Let's say they did 200k in damage. What is the life of a suspect or a cop worth? 6-8 mill is usually the assumption. If there is a 3% chance it saved a life, then it's worth it.
                      Wait, leaving aside that a career criminal's value may be virtually nil and leaving aside a cop's only moderate education and skill set, any random-ass life is assumed to be worth $6-8 million on average? That strikes me as high... even with zero understanding of economics, the lack of sufficient energy to even google median or mean gross or net incomes to attain even a lay estimation, and frankly no knowledge on the subject whatsoever, it still seems damned high.
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

A life is worth more than the individual's lifetime earnings. The 6-8 million dollar figure is used by numerous government agencies and is derived from the revealed danger premium associated with various lines of employment.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                          I'd hate to be that guy's insurance agent.

I'd hate to be the guy's landlord.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

That too.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                              I'd hate to be the guy's landlord.
                              Id hate to be the guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X