Python: Why or why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python: Why or why not?

I'm working as a programmer analyst now and most the stuff we usually do is in C#. I started using python lately though and I find it far more efficient and simpler. I can get the same program done in probably half the code and they even have default libraries for things like parsing csv files. I can't really see a reason to do any of the programs I'm doing right now in C# or Java, but I'm wondering if there's some sort of drawback to Python? Thoughts on this?

Also, anyone here have experience in compiling Python modules into JAR files? Is it even worth while since UNIX, Linux, Macs, etc. come with python standard from what I've read and I can just compile into an exe for Windows? I know I could ask this stuff on any number of programming forums, but I prefer to defer to the expertise of certain people on this forum. Thanks.
    Last edited by DriXnaK; April 3, 2011, 11:56.

Tease.

This thread is a huge disappointment.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Python is fun, but C# is faster and more type-safe, which is good if you write non-throwaway progs. Take a look at Boo and Cobra.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Thanks, I'll definitely look at those. For now I think I'm ok with python since the programs I'm writing aren't very large or complex, but in the future we'll be writing increasingly complex programs so I want to make sure we have the right language for the future. What I really like about Python is that you don't have to sit there and research all the different ways to do something before you even start coding.

Comment

Python is great, use it unless performance is critical (it is not very fast).

Comment

Well, I'm not building programs for NASA or anything so I can't see performance becoming an issue anytime soon.

Comment

Games are usually performance sensitive (can't have stuff lagging), most of
              the rest of stuff is not.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                Python is fun, but C# is faster and more type-safe, which is good if you write non-throwaway progs. Take a look at Boo and Cobra.
                This.

Though in my experience, Python is far from fun when you're dealing with code shared between a number of developers, each of which use different editors. The spaces-vs-tabs whitespacing gets old very fast.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well right now, I'm the only programmer besides the head of IT. The company is only 3 years old and growing fast and they're now starting to build their developer team, so it's a huge opportunity for me. So for now, the issue of other people trying to use code and stuff isn't a big deal. That being said, I read up on Cobra and it looks like it's still in development. We have some time before we get to a point where some of the issues with python might begin creeping up so I'll be keeping my eye on Cobra for the future. It looks cool.

On a side note, I am SO glad I took Asher's advice and went the programming route. There's so much more opportunity in it, not to mention money, and it doesn't even feel like work to me. I love my ****ing job.

Comment

When it starts to feel like work, it's because there's too many managers involved. Lobby to get them eliminated/reassigned, and demonstrate you do not need them.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                    X