Eating Crow Re Oil Price -- KrazyHorse wins by more than a few lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Crow Re Oil Price -- KrazyHorse wins by more than a few lengths

On March 24, 2006, five years ago, KrazyHorse and I made a bet as follows...

The price of light sweet crude will be lower in five years than it is today. A strike price of $64 nominal is agreed. Amount of bet: $1.
    I took the less than $64 end of the bet, which couldn't have been more wrong. The closing price on March 24, 2011 was $105.60, or 65% greater than the agreed strike price.

I doubt that KH had high confidence in his side of the bet when he made it -- the futures contracts implied roughly a coin flip. However, you pays your money and you takes your chances...

To my mind, the biggest factor that I did not consider was the relentless increase in Chinese demand for oil. The Chinese way of life has changed dramatically in these past five years. In a few of the major cities, most people drive cars to work whereas five years ago most rode bikes. Meanwhile, many more Americans ride their bikes to work than they did five years ago. Who knew.

Despite Chinese demand, I still think that the price of oil is too high. Put simply, at $105.60, even the most marginal of producers make very good money. Also, new technology is being introduced to minimize oil use. These changes are not in the long-term interest of the Saudi Arabias of the world.

Further, drilling methods in conventional fields have become much more sophisticated in the last few years. Nowadays you hear a lot about shale natural gas production finds. But these drilling methods can be applied for oil fields as well throughout the world.

In any event, I was wrong, KH was right. And he is $1 richer.
    Last edited by DanS; March 31, 2011, 18:22.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Oh Jesus. We need another thread praising KH as if he doesn't praise himself enough
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

He made his investment 5 years ago. It just so happens that this is coming due at a bad time for you.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well if he bought USO in 2006, he would actually be poorer now.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          Oh Jesus. We need another thread praising KH as if he doesn't praise himself enough
          You can look forward to a long post boasting about incredible brilliance, profound mathematical models, poker theory, real PHD's and so forth. You will have to wait until KH sees this.

Should be hilarious reading.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
            On March 24, 2006, five years ago, KrazyHorse and I made a bet as follows...

I took the less than $64 end of the bet, which couldn't have been more wrong. The closing price on March 24, 2011 was $105.60, or 65% greater than the agreed strike price.

I doubt that KH had high confidence in his side of the bet when he made it -- the futures contracts implied roughly a coin flip. However, you pays your money and you takes your chances...

To my mind, the biggest factor that I did not consider was the relentless increase in Chinese demand for oil. The Chinese way of life has changed dramatically in these past five years. In a few of the major cities, most people drive cars to work whereas five years ago most rode bikes. Meanwhile, many more Americans ride their bikes to work than they did five years ago. Who knew.

Despite Chinese demand, I still think that the price of oil is too high. Put simply, at $105.60, even the most marginal of producers make very good money. Also, new technology is being introduced to minimize oil use. These changes are not in the long-term interest of the Saudi Arabias of the world.

Further, drilling methods in conventional fields have become much more sophisticated in the last few years. Nowadays you hear a lot about shale natural gas production finds. But these drilling methods can be applied for oil fields as well throughout the world.

In any event, I was wrong, KH was right. And he is $1 richer.
            More important than the current price of oil is the fact that spot has been above the strike for ~80% of the lifetime of the bet, despite a once-in-a-generation recession in the US (and a global dip as well)
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

DanS
              High Oil Prices
              Chinese Demand
              CANADIAN OIL
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think the price of oil will stabilize, more or less, at 120 for years.

What's also fantastic is the price of bitumen is inching closer and closer to the price of West Texas.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

When my father rode his bike to work in California in the eightees, his fellow employees declared him mad. They said, get a car!

Comment

He was mad.

Comment

Hippies
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Even I knew developing world demand was going to out strip supply increases causing prices to rise. Dans is to be commended for owning up to his error though.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          DanS
                          High Oil Prices
                          Chinese Demand
                          CANADIAN OIL
                          Albertans smell like toe cheese.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                            That's the money you're smelling.

You're just not familiar with it.

Compare Alberta's debt load with California's for a good belly laugh. :gasmaske:

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                              They scrape that off and use it for pizza topping. Very economical lot, those Albertans.

pizza
                              Albertan pizza

Comment

Working...
                              X