Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do companies put sugar in apple sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    There you go again... tell me why I'm an idiot.
    Traumatic brain injury?
    APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Perfection
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by ur32212451 View Post
        I am familiar with the other HFCS 42, in either case, I would think what really counts is what the fructose is actually doing and how the body is responding to that.

Nice meeting you gribbler, and I wish you well, and the best.
        And by the time it is absorbed by "the body" sucrose is in monosaccharide form (i.e. split into component glucose and fructose)

So anything corn syrup does to you, sucrose does to you as well.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Just an honest question (which I don't care enough about to go look for the answer)... when glucose and fructose is split, does that result in any other chemical difference in other compounds? Basically, if something is responsible for or affected by the split occurring, does it change in that process?

Comment

There's an extra hydroxide ion in the solution IIRC, but that should be neutralized immediately by the acid in your stomach.

This process is catalyzed by some proteins (?), but they are not used up.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

HFCS iz IONIZINE YOUR stomach with OXYCLEAN?!?!

j/k... thanks for the answer

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection View Post
                I think the more import question is this: Why do companies put apples in apple sauce?
                Good question. Very important.

Comment

The thing that gets me is that back in the 80s / 90s, fructose was being hailed as being superior to sucrose, since it was the sugar our bodies were "intended" to make use of (in a fruit and vegetable heavy diet). It was supposed to be less of a shock to blood sugar levels, since glucose had to be synthesized from it and not simply split off and instantly available, as is the case with sucrose.

All of which actually makes sense. So what happened?
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Americans (and rats) got fat, that's what happened

Comment

...but that's not they're saying in the media. They're saying that fructose is unhealthy, compared to sucrose.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Scare mongering in the media? Sensationalism? Playing to the latest rumor? I find it hard to believe...

Comment

Working...
                        X