Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when two bad cell providers combine forces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when two bad cell providers combine forces?

Your joke here...

AT&T to Buy T-Mobile USA in $39 Billion Deal

AT&T announced on Sunday that it has agreed to buy T-Mobile
    USA from Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion in cash and stock,
    in one of the biggest mergers since the onset of the
    financial crisis.

The deal will dramatically bolster AT&T's footprint in the
    country, adding an additional 46.5 million customers.

Under the terms of the deal, AT&T will pay $25 billion in
    cash and the rest in stock. Deutsche Telekom will in turn
    gain an 8 percent stake in AT&T and a seat on the American
    telecom giant's board.
    Linky: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/20/att-mobile-att-buys-t-mobile-usa/?hpt=T2
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

You get one large provider with two networks?
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I used T-Mobile from 2000-2005 but their network just wasn't that good. I'd often get "all circuits are busy" because they so over sold their network, I'd be downtown where you'd think reception would be good but huge areas simply didn't get any signal, I routinely had my phone not ring at all and only know someone called when the phone beeped to let me know I'd gotten a voice message, and then there was the problem of dropped calls... I'd be in a totally flat area with no large buildings or bridges or anything else yet mysteriously calls would always get dropped at certain spots on the freeway. I have no idea why because like I said the geography was flat yet I'd go from max bars to zero bars and back to max bars all with in 100 yards or so.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
        You get one large provider with two networks?
        Or maybe less competition and higher prices?

Comment

That two...but I'm serious, the AT&T and TMobile networks don't work with each other, so if you have a T-Mobile phone a year from now you won't magically get access to the larger AT&T network once the buyout goes through.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

So their best minds wouldn't be able to integrate their networks, or at least recommend that users get phones that automatically switch between the settings for each depending on what's available in a given area? I'm no techie by any means but that sounds very hard to believe.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

They can recommend phones to their hearts content. Not all of the will work universally on the combined network.

Comment

Why is it that the towers can't be retrofitted?
                Unbelievable!

Comment

I will note that my company had no part in this unholy union.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                    Why is it that the towers can't be retrofitted?

I doubt it would be worth it to AT&T to retrofit T-mobiles towers. I bet they are just planning on letting that spectrum die a slow death.

Comment

So basically, AT&T's main goal here is to get a monopoly on the GSM market in the US by buying out it's main GSM competitor? If they do intend to just let T-mobile's spectrum slowly wither away then the merger clearly is designed to be anti-competitive in nature instead of trying to maximize use of the limited spectrum the Fed's have authorized for wireless devices. I really hope Obama grows a pair of balls and blocks this merge on anti-trust grounds but I doubt he will because he's just as bought off as all the other politicians plus he doesn't want to piss off his big business masters when he has an election coming next year.

Comment

I had a couple of great deals from T-Mobile.

Mainly:
                        Free WiFi calling (from anywhere in the world) $10
                        Unlimited data (from anywhere in the world) $20

Problem was that it was a contract. Contracts suck.

And if I went over my minutes I got screwed.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I like GSM, so yeah, I have a problem with less competition.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Aren't AT&T basically buying a load of cell towers, which means they can significantly improve their coverage in some areas, and getting the rest of the company basically thrown in for free?
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

No, what AT&T is buying is TMobile's subscribers.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X