Full Moon Closest It's Been To Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Moon Closest It's Been To Earth

On March 19th, a full Moon of rare size and beauty will rise in the east at sunset. It's a super "perigee moon"--the biggest in almost 20 years.

"The last full Moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993," says Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory in Washington DC. "I'd say it's worth a look."

Full Moons vary in size because of the oval shape of the Moon's orbit. It is an ellipse with one side (perigee) about 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other (apogee): diagram. Nearby perigee moons are about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the Moon's orbit.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

As long it stays off my lawn.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I (+sis & bro) recently gave my Dad a Telescope for his 80th birthday. Needless to say my bro & I were as excited as my Dad. It was a relatively simple thing of $300 or so but when looking at the moon the edge was not smooth but actually the mountain- and/or craterridges could be seen as dents in the side. Pretty awesome .
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by germanos View Post
        I (+sis & bro) recently gave my Dad a Telescope for his 80th birthday. Needless to say my bro & I were as excited as my Dad. It was a relatively simple thing of $300 or so but when looking at the moon the edge was not smooth but actually the mountain- and/or craterridges could be seen as dents in the side. Pretty awesome .
        good gift

Comment

It was overcast here last night. No moon on view.
          Much like the last eclipse.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
            It was overcast here last night. No moon on view.
            Much like the last eclipse.
            same here

Comment

I howled at it.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

i was on the beach to see it, was pretty cool.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It was overcast here as well so I didn't get to see it.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It was at it's best as it first rose.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I woke up in the wolf cage at the local zoo.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

That's as it should be.

Comment

I hope it will be like Majora's Mask! I loved that game!
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                            I woke up in the wolf cage at the local zoo.

ACK!
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It was a very cool view. My 2.5 years old daughter was in awe. A very fond evening indeed...
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                              X