Red Dawn remake changes Chinese to North Koreans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Dawn remake changes Chinese to North Koreans

In March 2011, the Los Angeles Times reported that MGM is changing the villains in its Red Dawn remake from Chinese to North Korean in order to maintain access to China's lucrative box office. The changes reportedly cost less than $1 million and involve changing an opening sequence summarizing the story's fictional backdrop, re-editing two scenes and using digital technology to transform many Chinese symbols to Korean. The changes will not eliminate all references to China though will give North Korea a much larger role in the coalition that invades the U.S. Producer Trip Vinson stated, "We were initially very reluctant to make any changes, but after careful consideration we constructed a way to make a scarier, smarter and more dangerous 'Red Dawn' that we believe improves the movie".[3]

Movies are getting boring, the only acceptable enemies in any story seem to be Aliens, North Koreans, evil White males, Zombies, Nazi's. The list can be extend in creative combinations like rich White North Koreans ,Space Nazis and Nazi Zombies.

On the other hand a movie depicting the invasion of Evil White Space Nazi North Korean Zombies would be something I'd for out 5 EUR for.

7 EUR if they make them Russian gangsters or terrorists too!
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

red dawn was bad enough the first time around
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Why not just make it Russians again? Not believable because they've fallen so low? But then what's with North Koreans? I realize I'm talking to myself here. Hello. Anybody hear me?

Comment

Red Dawn.

Are Russians still bad guys? Or do people think it is plausible for the US to get invaded by North Korea, Iran and Cuba? If Russia is still the bad guys why don't we care about their feelings the way we do China?
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
          red dawn was bad enough the first time around
          QFT
          Blah

Comment

Red Dawn was the third greatest film of the 80s. Conan the Barbarian was first, and The Road Warrior was second.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

and the English
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

You forgot Big.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

There's a video game that just came out this week about this same thing... Homefront. North Korean invasion of the US. Yeah none of it makes any damn sense.

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It makes perfect sense to replace the Chinese with the North Koreans. Cash rules everything around us.
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                      Cash rules everything around us.

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Both militaries are pathetic jokes right now, but the Chinese are slightly less of a joke. I think it's stupid that they self-censor like this. The Chinese probably don't buy it anyway, just pirate it
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                          Red Dawn was the third greatest film of the 80s. Conan the Barbarian was first, and The Road Warrior was second.
                          I don't see Commando anywhere on that list.

Comment

Are there even six hundred million screaming koreamen?
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Wikipedia says (via the International Institute for Strategic Studies) the Korean People's Army has 1,106,000 active personnel and 8M more in reserve, though that 8M includes women since North Korea only has 24M people to begin with. Probably also includes something called the "Worker-Peasant Red Guard"...

The KPA probably has some absurdly ****ty weapons and maintenance, crappy logistical system that would probably have to live off the land even if they invaded South Korea, etc.

In Homefront the idea is that the North Koreans take advantage of some global instability with regards to oil (Iran and Saudi Arabia going to war) to waltz into South Korea, conquer Japan, and somehow take over all of China. Yeah, I guess a combined Sino-Japanese-Korean nation would be crazy powerful but that aint happening, especially not under North Korean leadership.

Comment

Working...
                              X