Battle: Los Angeles- Docs movie 4 u

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle: Los Angeles- Docs movie 4 u

Battle: Los Angeles - Well I was disappointed, the same old war movie clichés.
    You got the Sarg, ( who is fresh from war after losing his platoon) The no experience, butter bar, Lt. Tex from Texas, Jersy from New Jersey ( who hot wires the bus.) A balls to the wall female sargent. ect, ect. If you have been in the military you will see they did not get good military advisers when making the movie. I did not see one Blackhawk helocopter all they used where hueys.
    Weapons that never run out of ammo. The aliens that you see or what little you do see look like those steel robots from Battelstar Galactica.
    Just bad all around. out of five.

Dang. That sounds bad. I might see it anyway. Old war movie cliches are not so bad.

Are there lots of explosions, and missiles and gunships and stuff? I wasn't in the military so I can't tell whether they use Huey's or Blackhawk's. Is perhaps a bit like a Sylvester movie, no story, no plot but lots of biffo, shootings and explosions? That would be OK.

Comment

Lots of gun play and explosions. I was just hoping for a little more. Check it out you might like it.

Comment

Did Tom Sizemore play the Sarg? Sizemore is always the Sarg.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
          Did Tom Sizemore play the Sarg? Sizemore is always the Sarg.

ACK!
          It was that guy from Batman who had half his face burned off by the Joker.

He gave a good performance, prob carried the whole movie.

Comment

I saw the movie. I liked it. It was a "war movie cliche" like you said Doc. The helicopters looked like something out of the Vietnam war. Would have better using the newer helicopters such as Blackhawks. Anyway there were plenty of explosions and gun battles and so forth which made it OK.

Comment

Well the basic story is the staff sargent, who is in somewhat in disgrace for coming back home alive and unscratched after having lost his entire squad in Iraq redeems himself by seeing throught the mission to rescue the civilians and then undertaking an unplanned mission that tips the balance of the battle. Yes, there were lots of 'splosions.

I don't understand. The aliens went to the trouble to graft weapons and armor to their bodies, why didn't they use bulletproof armor? Were they expecting the natives to be armed with clubs and bows?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Actually, the Marine Corps is featured in Battle: LA from my understanding (my rackmate at OCS; it was his old unit that supplied extras).

The Marine Corps does not use Blackhawks, as far as I know. The Corps uses Vietnam-era helicopters like the Sea Stallion, Cobra, Huey, and Sea Knight.

Here's a photo from 2003 of a Marine Huey operating outside of Baghdad:

It all goes back to all these "disband the Marine Corps" threads that have been popping up on Apolyton lately. Like what are you disbanding? The Marine Corps makes do with little as is. The Marine Corps prides itself on frugality and doing more with less than the Army. Yeah get rid of the guys who are America's best and do it all with less
                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; March 17, 2011, 19:15.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Video about Marine Hueys in Afghanistan:

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So yes, contrary to your assertion, Docfeelgood, Marines using Hueys makes sense; Marines in Blackhawks does not.

And there are so many videos on youtube of Huey's in action in Iraq and Afghanistan, by the way, if you are interested.

I should note that they are used for close air support not to deploy troops. Sea Knights/Chinooks would do that. I don't know how they were used in this movie.
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; March 17, 2011, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                      Well the basic story is the staff sargent, who is in somewhat in disgrace for coming back home alive and unscratched after having lost his entire squad in Iraq redeems himself by seeing throught the mission to rescue the civilians and then undertaking an unplanned mission that tips the balance of the battle. Yes, there were lots of 'splosions.

I don't understand. The aliens went to the trouble to graft weapons and armor to their bodies, why didn't they use bulletproof armor? Were they expecting the natives to be armed with clubs and bows?
                      I quite enjoyed the movie but I didn't care about the storyline. It was like watching a Sylvester movie. Bad guys are over there so we go over there and have a shoot up with lots of 'splosions. No more plot or story needed, or given.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        So yes, contrary to your assertion, Docfeelgood, Marines using Hueys makes sense; Marines in Blackhawks does not.

And there are so many videos on youtube of Huey's in action in Iraq and Afghanistan, by the way, if you are interested.

I should note that they are used for close air support not to deploy troops. Sea Knights/Chinooks would do that. I don't know how they were used in this movie.
                        Interesting. I was in the army. thanks for the info.

Comment

How are you going to cope against the People's Army of North Korea with that sh*t technology.

Why is there so much media about the US getting invaded by someone or something recently (in games, in films). Are you preparing for your imminent demise?
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The North Koreans WISH they had Hueys.

Comment

Do they really...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X