The Great British Class Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great British Class Survey

the bbc's great british class survey. a chance for poly tubbies to see where they stand in the social ladder.

as i'm living in brasil now i answered based on 1 year ago when i was back in sunny swansea.

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

YOUR RESULTS

You scored 10/100 for economic capital
    Your financial resources are below those of the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 100/100 for social capital
    Your social network is wider than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 90/100 for cultural capital
    Your range of cultural interests is broader than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.
    kind of interesting. i'm broke but i'm sociable and a culture vulture...which is fairly accurate, although i think third one says more about the narrowness of our cultural lives than it does about me to be honest.
    Last edited by C0ckney; March 12, 2011, 08:40.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Yes, but do you say 'Napkin' or 'Serviette'? 'Toilet' or 'lavatory'? 'Lounge' or 'Sitting Room'?

These things are the true test of social class.

Comment

Serviette, Loo, Living room.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I did the survey a while back, can't remember what I got.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
          Serviette, Loo, Living room.
          Working-class, Aristocrat, Middle-Class.

Hmmm, maybe the Grumpy Guide To Class that I was watching last night hasn't quite nailed it.

Comment

For someone who prides himself on his working class roots, I think I am going to come out of this looking horrendously middle class
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You scored 60/100 for economic capital

Your financial resources are about the same as the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 40/100 for social capital

Your social network is about the same as the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 80/100 for cultural capital

Your range of cultural interests is broader than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Isn't this for UK only? Yay! Sully the results!

What the hell is a "Publican"? In the Bible, it was a Roman tax-collector which is what wikipedia confirms... says also a bar-keeper and a pimp. Bar-keeper, I guess, is what this test is asking?

Aristocrat/Noble God England is so ****ing backwards.

Why is there no option for 'unemployed'? There's "never worked"... what the ****?

Working class vs middle class? They're the same thing, aren't they?

You scored 13/100 for economic capital
                Your financial resources are lower than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 30/100 for social capital
                Your social network is narrower than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 10/100 for cultural capital
                Your range of cultural interests is narrower than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.
                Yay! American sullying the results!
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

A publican runs a public house, ie, landlord of a pub.
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Albie, what are you doing with your life man? You need to get out there more man!
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I've learned from this test a few things...

People who own bars (I'm assuming not just mere bartenders) are bestowed a fancy pants title called "Publican" in England.
                      There are no unemployed in England. Those who are not working are either homemakers with kids or have 'never worked'.
                      Working class and Middle class mean two different things though what... I'm completely lost.
                      Class itself means something to English. It's an identity. Why anyone uses economic status as a primary identity, I don't know.
                      People in England visit 'stately houses'
                      People in England don't eat Mexican food (not an option)... but eat French...
                      'Fish and Chips' is considered a genre of food as Italian, Chinese, Indian, etc. are
                      English people think Chinese and Indian food are similar enough to lump together. All bunch of Pakis, I guess.
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

85/85/100

Truly upper-class people should score badly on the middle category.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, publican is one word for them.
                          Oh, there are plenty of unemployed in Britain
                          Well we have working class (people who are working but not professionals, doing more menial work, factory work, building, etc - doesn't actually in this day and age always correlate with income though - I am sure plumbers or electricians earn more than many people in the middle classes). Middle classes refer to people in professional occupations, usually with a formal education. And yes, I hate its use as an identity, but I think this still exists because of the educational differences rather than anything more fundamental than that.
                          We have "stately houses" because we have history, unlike you
                          Well the omission of Mexican is quite interesting because that is fairly common. I never eat French food personally, I'd always take Italian over it.
                          Fish and chips, well, there are many shops providing this kind of food which is normally in a takeaway form. You'd have to come here to understand I think.
                          I think the thing regarding Indian/Chinese food is because they tend to be in a similar price bracket and are very abundant.
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Doing physical work implies a lack of being a professional?

Electricians, carpenters, etc. not only get paid more than what I guess would be some professional jobs, as you pointed out, but probably have received far more technical training than them... I mean an electrician vs. a secretary? Who is really the one making money with a skill?

Your whole economic outlook is completely 19th century.

Indian food in the same price bracket as Chinese? Huh? In America, we have Chinese stores on every other block in the hood. It is a very common take-out. We sure as hell don't have Indian food like that. If you want Indian food in America, your only choice is to go to an Indian restaurant. Indian take-out? Where?

Comment

This isn't America.
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X