X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF Texas?

18 Arrested in Assaults on 11-Year-Old Texas Girl
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CLEVELAND, Texas (AP) — A lurid cell phone video circulated among students in a small Texas town has led to the arrests of 18 people, including high school athletes and adults, accused of sexually assaulting an 11 year-old girl during a series of attacks last year.

The investigation began Dec. 1 after a friend of the girl told a teacher he had seen the video of one of the alleged attacks, said Stacey Gatlin, a spokeswoman for the school district in Cleveland, about 45 miles northeast of Houston.

The district's police chief questioned the girl and her mother and discovered the video had been shot off school property over the Thanksgiving Day holiday break. School district authorities were not able to recover any cell phones that had video of the alleged attack and the investigation was turned over to police, Gatlin said.

Investigators determined the video was taken at an abandoned mobile home on the northern outskirts of the city, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by several Houston media outlets. The girl told investigators she was raped at the home on Nov. 28.

That day, the girl was first assaulted at a house near the mobile home. She was told she would be beaten up if she didn't submit, according to the affidavit. When the aunt of one of the alleged attackers returned home, everyone, including the girl, fled. The group then moved to the mobile home, where the sexual assault continued, according to the affidavit.

The mobile home, which sits next to a small, white building that serves as a Baptist church, is surrounded by overgrown weeds, junk and other trash. Inside, debris covers the floor and a stove sits in the middle of the living room. Neighbors said it has been abandoned since being damaged by Hurricane Ike in September 2008.

Court records allege the girl was raped on at least three different occasions last year. Besides the Nov. 28 attack, indictments in the case say there also were attacks on Sept. 15 and Oct. 25. Each time, at least two individuals were involved in the attacks.

The indictments say the girl was attacked by at least three individuals on Nov. 28. But the records do not clarify how many individuals in total are alleged to have attacked the girl that night and both police and Liberty County District Attorney Michael Little have declined to comment on details of the case, citing the ongoing investigation.

Thirteen adults and five juveniles have been arrested in the case so far. The juveniles are students in the Cleveland school district. The others range in ages from 17 to 27.

All the arrests have taken place within the last month.
    Put some money into education and after school activities to get these kids off the streets and develop a sense of community.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

I have a bit hard of a time believing she was raped but kept hanging out with her alledged rapists, ran away with them when an adult showed up (you'd figure a real rape victim would be screaming her head off to anyone who would listen), and would have gone straight away to the police. Yet this girl waited days or weeks and even then she didn't call rape until after the embarrassing video of her having sex surfaced at school. Only than did she cry rape.

She went back three times so I am thinking it was pretty much consensual, maybe a bit coerced but she agreed and certainly wasn't raped, and she cried rape later after the embarassing video started making the rounds at school. I still think the guys were dirt bags and the girl was probably young and trying to fit in but no real rape victim keeps going back to her rapist (unless there is some serious brainwashing going on) like this girl did. Besides, no matter how dumb all envolved are it is hard to blame Texas (as much as I'd like) because with as many people as are in Texas some of them will be mental low achievers. Yes, Texas has more than it's share of low achievers but this seems run of the mill stuff albeit mixed with sexual coercion.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

An 11 year old girl cannot consent to sex. Especially involving "high school athletes and adults", meaning, at least, 15 year old for Freshmen. Therefore it most definitely is rape.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

From the updated news report (click on the link):

Thirteen adults and five juveniles have been arrested in the case so far. The juveniles are students in the Cleveland school district. The others range in ages from 17 to 27.
        27 year olds with an 11 year old...
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It does sound indeed horrible. And yes there are many different and sometimes subtle forms of coercion but Oerdin raises a valid point. The timing is a bit suspicious but since we're dealing with an 11-year old girl, I'm more willing to error in her favor here.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
            I have a bit hard of a time believing she was raped but kept hanging out with her alledged rapists...
            You are presuming the same people were involved in all 3 assaults.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              An 11 year old girl cannot consent to sex. Especially involving "high school athletes and adults", meaning, at least, 15 year old for Freshmen. Therefore it most definitely is rape.
              And this answers the rest.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm sorry wait what does this have to do with texas other than being in texas?
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

DaShi is just trying to goad me. Another day, another lame attempt. What do you think other Texas inmates will do to them after they're convicted?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Barbarians.

Comment

all of the defendants arrested are black and the girl is Hispanic.
                      The hardscrabble town of Cleveland, which is 45 miles from Houston, has fewer than 8,000 residents .More than half of the town is white, with the rest of the residents split between blacks and Hispanics.
                      Most of the defendants have ties to Precinct 20, the nickname for the predominantly African-American neighborhood in Cleveland. The black neighborhood is sometimes referred to as "the quarters."
                      The girl, who has not been identified because she is a minor and the alleged victim of a sex crime, said that she was told by the men that they "would have some girls 'beat her up' or she would not be taken back to her residence" if she didn't have sex with them, according to court documents.
                      Last edited by Docfeelgood; March 10, 2011, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        DaShi is just trying to goad me. Another day, another lame attempt. What do you think other Texas inmates will do to them after they're convicted?
                        I have no doubt that they will exact punishment on these Short Eyes.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Working...
                        X