Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How technology makes ideology irrelevant

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...=Google+Reader

Its a long but interesting entry, click the link and read the whole things.

Dienekes points to two interesting phenomena which when juxtaposed together show how the pace of technological change can outrun ideological arguments and hand wringing. Those of you who have been reading me since the early 2000s know where I stand on issues such as the “Kennewick Man” controversy. I think there’s an objective reality which should be studied. The latter is a normative judgement. There’s no rule embedded in the universe that truth needs to be set free, it’s a preference. So when it comes to Creationism of organized institutional religions, or shamanic ethnic Creationism, I don’t put much weight in its value or importance. But the shadow of Kennewick Man still looms over contemporary controversies as we crest the peak swell of human genomics in terms of the rate of increase of insight. Apparently members of the America Indian Program at Cornell are objecting to The Genographic Project. The project is headed by Spencer Wells, who has an appointment at Cornell now. An English professor associated with the American Indian Program apparently sent the student newspaper an almost parody-like email of impenetrable obfuscating academic-speak:

In a statement issued by AIP, the program’s director, Prof. Eric Cheyfitz, English, criticized National Geographic’s language about diversity and said that the project “deconstruct[s] communal identities by individualizing members” of marginalized communities, such as indigenous peoples.

“In marked contrast to the goals of the Cornell Ancestry Event, which seeks to define ‘diversity’ biologically in terms of universal genetic codes … Indigenous peoples customarily define themselves not biologically, but socio-culturally and politically in terms of varying ideas of nationhood,” the statement says.

“[The project] is ahistorical in that it substitutes a biological profile of one’s identity for one’s historical (social and political) connections to a particular community. This clearly has an impact, among others, on historically underrepresented groups in the U.S. — African Americans, Asian Americans, Latino/as, and Native Americans — in that a biological profile can be dissociative in relation to one’s history,” Cheyfitz said in an e-mail.

... ...

It goes to show how insulated this particular academic and activist community is that they’d think this sort of opaque holding forth in a caricature of fashionable nonsense does their cause any good. There are real concerns they’re mooting here, and concrete issues with how science and powerful institutions have dealt particular populations. You can state the concerns in plain English in a way that makes it so that you are taken seriously, and you don’t give people an excuse to giggle because they think you’re being cleverly obfuscating. If you really believe in your cause you should try to speak as clearly as possible, and not cloak yourself in the dialect of your tribe. Terms such as “dissociative in relation to one’s history” probably have a plain meaning, if you are an Ethnic studies major, but they are just mystifying to the general public. It’s as if I held forth seriously about how we need to be careful, because the “genotype data is unphased.” That’s not going to mean anything to anyone.

Remember there are different kinds of genomic variation (e.g., microsatellites, SNPs, CNVs). Because of the political battles apparently there hasn’t been much sequencing of Native Americans. So the researchers simply looked at Mexican American mestizos, who have substantial indigenous ancestry. At some point in the near future anyone will be able to download the genomes of Mestizos and so gain a window into the genetic variation of Amerindian populations, whether those populations consent or not. If enough white Australians get sequenced, presumably someone could reconstruct the Aborigine genome from the fragments in white Australians. And so on. The technology has outrun the time for talk. If Spencer Wells is stymied by politics, private individuals could get genotyped and pool their information. This horse has left the barn.

So back to my preferences and values. We live in an age when human genomics is exploding, when the knowledge can pour out in front of you if you put in the labor hours. They take away the university funding. They can terrify scientists, or even assault them. But much of the data is now out in the public domain. There’s software to analyze the data, and visualize it. All that’s required is a will. Battles based on whether truth is One or truth is divided and subject to ideological preference will continue. But rest assured, the conclusion of this war is foregone. The incantations of the priests and the lamentations of their followers have no more power over us. I am smiling. Let them scream. They should if they suspect what truthful terrors may well up from the deep.
    I echo Razib's sentiments.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Hey, Hera, do you have any knowledge of sexual selection? I'm trying to argue my case in the babe thread that people who prefer scrawny women have broken sexual preferences.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Good idea. With Hera's reputation on issues of genetics to back up your reputation on issues of human sexuality, there's no way you could lose the argument.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

that was pure class elok.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Good idea. With Hera's reputation on issues of genetics to back up your reputation on issues of human sexuality, there's no way you could lose the argument.
            Who said Aspie's don't have a sense of humor
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Who said that osteoporotic closet cases can't join the marines?
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                Who said Aspie's don't have a sense of humor
                Um, no one I'm aware of.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post

that was pure class elok.
                  QFT

Also, the Killbots will be the way that technology makes ideology irrelavent.
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Ah discover magazine. Fluff science at its fluffiest.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Hey, Hera, do you have any knowledge of sexual selection? I'm trying to argue my case in the babe thread that people who prefer scrawny women have broken sexual preferences.
                      Perhaps 'scrawny' women have an adversion to the kind of, I was going to say 'men' but that seems a trifle complimentary, erm, lexically-challenged individuals, shall we say, who use terms like scrawny to describe anyone not resembling a Pillsbury doughgirl.

...broken sexual preferences.
                      Good grief.... do you hang around Mauretanian feeding houses ?

"Traditionally a fat wife was a symbol of wealth. Now we've got another vision, another criteria for beauty.

"Young people in Mauritania today, we're not interested in being fat as a symbol of beauty. Today to be beautiful is to be natural, just to eat normally."

Some men are also much less keen on having a fat wife - a reflection of changes in Mauritanian society.

"We're fed up of fat women here," said 19-year-old shop owner Yusuf.

"Always fat women! Now we want thin women.
                      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3429903.stm
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                      X