Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
    I would probably be OK with that.

Sorry Wezil, I assumed you were talking about the world and not just your own country. My mistake.

JM
    Yes, I realised that was what you had done after the fact.

Np.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
      Religious beliefs are more focused in the very old and very young... the young kids because they usually aren't given a choice, and have it crammed down their throats by their parents... and the very old... the ones who see death as something not far away, and start thinking about what comes after.

Anecdotal evidence from my own experience tells me that many people leave religion young (would identify as non-religious if asked) and then some of them drift back into it as they age (would then identify as belonging to some sect or other).

Not a big deal though.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I suspect they wouldn't outnumber the children classified as a particular religion for no other reason than their parents are that religion.

Having a faith attached at birth is the default position for most. Atheism/non-religious is a conscious choice.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

...unless that is attached at birth.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            ...unless that is attached at birth.
            I suspect in the future it will be (based on Cdn trends), just not yet.

It would be nice to see an day when religion is not imposed on children and they will be free to use reason when they get older. It would of course be the final death knell for organised religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
              I suspect they wouldn't outnumber the children classified as a particular religion for no other reason than their parents are that religion.

Having a faith attached at birth is the default position for most. Atheism/non-religious is a conscious choice.

Twenty-somethings removing themselves from being counted as religious would increase the average age of people of faith.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I read an article on people in Quebec. Many very much consider themselves to be RC. It is part of the Quebecois identity, even if they do not observe much at all. They may get more serious later in life, or they may not.

People in English Canada are as likely to report non-religious when they are alienated from their faith, like when they are in university and feel they have no need for it. Likewise, they may get more serious about faith later in life.

This could help explain the gap in average age of the different faiths.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Why do people get more religious as they age? Is there more to it than being closer to the grave?

Comment

It's fun to be all rebellious against parents when in your 20s?

Though, anecdotally, it seems to me that the Christians with the most passion about their faiths that I have seen are in their 20s and 30s. Of course, they are slowly changing the faith as well, as this generation has more of a focus on social justice as part of their faith.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                      Why do people get more religious as they age? Is there more to it than being closer to the grave?

Experience? Wanting a sense of belonging and community? Dealing with hard knocks that life deals out? Having looked for answers that are assumed to be offered in secular society but not found, some people turn back to faith as they age. That is just my observation.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                        Twenty-somethings removing themselves from being counted as religious would increase the average age of people of faith.
                        Do you really think it would balance out all the infants and children counted in the faith numbers? Really? I don't think it would even be close.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          I disagree with the premise. This is the opposite of what I am observing as I age.

Comment

What I have generlaly seen, and it might not be true in Canada, is that people leave when they have some problems with people/things/etc in their late teens/early 20s.

Then they come back, generally with some nontraditional ideas, in their 30s/40s because they want a more settled life/feel the call of God/realize that they made mistakes/needed help in life/etc.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I know many that have left religion but not one that went the other way.

Still doesn't account for all the children skewing the number the other way. There is no way on earth I will believe late in life converts are more numerous than the kids.

Comment

It isn't really converting. It is returning, they generally had some belief but weren't practicing. Then due to circumstances (struggles/kids/hard times/family/etc) they return to God and/or organized religion.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X