Tax Religious Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    I have a hard time seeing how taxing churches would adversely affect the quality of preaching.
    Since you are an atheist (at least I presume you are), it's really not fair for you to judge since you don't believe preaching has any quality whatsoever.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      Since you are an atheist (at least I presume you are), it's really not fair for you to judge since you don't believe preaching has any quality whatsoever.
      Religious people are biased too.

Comment

Interesting, if bizarre, assumption.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Not really, seeing as he voted religion as being "fake" in the real or fake poll.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

In the first place, more goes on through a church than "preaching".
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

eg: pedophilia.
              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Not really, seeing as he voted religion as being "fake" in the real or fake poll.
                I meant the statement as a whole. B does not necessarily follow from A.
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I agree with the OP, they should be taxed just like all nonprofits.
                  When I think of non-profit organizations, the first things that come to mind are religious groups like the Scientologists
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

At what point can Apple declare itself a religion and avoid taxes?

I'm fairly sure people, in general, have far more faith in Steve Jobs than God.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Since you're not on the Apple board of directors (at least I presume you aren't), you're not allowed to say that Apple isn't a religion.
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Except that they are already charities. Which should be taxed.
                        Should charities be taxed?

Slap a tax on donations to feed the hungry. There will be less revenue to feed the starving. They will die quicker so less starving people but I guess that is there own fault so they deserved it. What do you reckon about cutting the taxes for the rich and making up the shortfall taxing charities and churchs.
                        :sarcasm:

taxing charities

Comment

Religious groups break the law about not engaging in politics all the time so why not just tax them like other organizations?
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

For sure. Religion and politics have never intertwined.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Apple certainly have fanatical supporters, and their faithful are always trying to convert unbelievers, telling them how their lives will be improved.

They also have a devil figure in Bill Gates.

Yep, it's a religion.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Yes, taxing charities seems kind of unproductive, unless you assume that the government could provide the same service cheaper or better.
                                But religion's functions are not 100% charities so they shouldn't be 100% tax free.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X