Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutual funds or ETFs?

Pick your poison. Explain caveats.

Goal is long-term diversified investments, typically tracking indices (TSX, NASDAQ, S&P 500, EAFE, etc). From what I've determined, a mutual fund actually makes sense for these if I would be making regular smaller contributions (like ~$300 in each per month, for instance).

Once the mutual fund holdings reach a sufficiently high value, I'd perhaps swap it for an ETF tracking the same indices. The goal here is to avoid the higher management fees with mutual funds longer-term, while avoiding the higher transactional costs of ETFs that I would otherwise incur monthly.

Good idea, or bad?

In general, mutual funds or ETFs or "it depends"?
    Mututal Funds!
    37.50%
    ETFs!
    12.50%
    It Depends!
    50.00%
    Last edited by Asher; February 28, 2011, 03:48.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Follow-up question: Currency-neutral or no, for buying US index-tracking funds?

Given the high value of the CDN dollar right now, my gut is telling me to avoid currency-neutral. Yes?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Cue Kuciwalker, "Asher knows nothing beyond a very narrow specialty of computers!"

Asher, ETF's are a TYPE of mutual fund.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Cue Kuciwalker, "Asher knows nothing beyond a very narrow specialty of computers!"

Asher, ETF's are a TYPE of mutual fund.
        And you have a DEGREE in finance?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          And you have a DEGREE in finance?
          Yes. I have a BBA in Finance.

And yes, ETF's are a type of mutual fund.

Are you trying to ask "actively managed mutual fund vs. ETF?"? "Open-ended vs. ETF?"?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Why is there no banana option?

Anyway, It depends.

Comment

Yes. I have a BBA in Finance.

And yes, ETF's are a type of mutual fund.

Are you trying to ask "actively managed mutual fund vs. ETF?"? "Open-ended vs. ETF?"?
              An ETF is not a mutual fund. Even an index-tracking mutual fund is not an index-tracking ETF.

Get your **** together.

Comment

Albie, mutual funds and ETFs are both open-ended funds. But an ETF is not a mutual fund.

Comment

Albie, mutual funds and ETFs are both open-ended funds. But an ETF is not a mutual fund.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_fund

Types of mutual funds
                  Open-end fund, forms of organization, other funds
                  Exchange-traded funds
                  And you're right. ETF's are open-ended. I was tripping. What threw me off are that they can be traded above or below NAV.

And don't mock me. I haven't worked in this field and am 3 years stale.

Comment

Do you want to define what these are? They may be know by different names in other financial systems.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_fund

And you're right. ETF's are open-ended. I was tripping. What threw me off are the NAV's.
                      If you twist the definition of mutual funds to mean an open-ended fund, then yes it's a mutual fund.

Anyone with more than $5 to their name wish to join the conversation now?

Comment

I have a snowboard heavy portfolio.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                          Do you want to define what these are? They may be know by different names in other financial systems.
                          I think you call mutual funds unit trusts in the UK. Or ICVCs.

I don't know about exchange-traded funds in the UK. Aren't they the same?

Comment

If you twist the definition of mutual funds to mean an open-ended fund, then yes it's a mutual fund.

Anyone with more than $5 to their name wish to join the conversation now?
                            I said don't mock me. I haven't worked in this field and am 3 years stale.

Don't work in computers at all after receiving your Comp Sci degree and see how much you can remember accurately on the spot after 3 years.

Comment

I wouldn't mock you if you didn't jump in to tell me I'm wrong when I was right.

Comment

Working...
                              X