Probability question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probability question.

We have a 12 person FIFA 11 tournament on Saturday.

Alongside the main league where everyone plays everyone else is a doubles cup. The doubles partnerships will be random.

ie. all 12 entrants will be put in a hat and drawn out with a random partner for the doubles cup.

There is a particular combination of partners that we think will be particularly amusing. What is the actual probability those two will be drawn together? Each player should really have a one in 11 chance of playing with a specific partner right? So it's 1 in 11 is it? But what's the equation that proves it?
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Write down conditional prob eqn for p(a drawn in a pair GIVEN b drawn in that pair). Now apply fact that draws are independent
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

P(a|b) = P(a && b) / P(b)
      P(b) = 1-(11/12)*(10/11)
      P(a && b) = 2 * (1/12) *(1/11)
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Thank you!
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

It's obvious when you see it.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Liar
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I didn't actually go to any of our maths lectures, but I did read the book before the exam.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

I was going to post the solution but I figured I'd give KH a chance to see what he could come up with.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Oh wow so there are actually other math people on this forum? That's cool.

Comment

probability that mike has a man crush on one of the others and is hoping 4 some1 2 tell him the odds of getting matched up arent as bad as they seem?

Comment

If it was me, the probability would be 1 because I would rig the drawing.
                      APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Sox View Post
                        Oh wow so there are actually other math people on this forum? That's cool.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I thought it was 500?
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Own goal
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I must have missed something then.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X