Philly's next mayor may be an ex-con hot dog vendor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
    Isn't that what what politicians spend most of their time doing anyway?

Except for when they are giving stupid speeches or cutting deals with donors.

politicians
    Well, there are politicians that dare to speak up against journalists :

It's a danish minister that get seriously pissed on a journalist that start to ask about specifics on a subject that he wasn't expected to talk about. He is still a minister and he has actually gained in popularity because of his outburst.

Oh, sorry about the lacking subtitles, but face and body language is quite telling
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
      Ehrm, doesn't make sense - why should non members have influence on another party ?????
      Parties are not a constitutional part of American government tradition. There's a debate on whether it violates the people's right to free association (since part of freely associating is deciding who you don't want to associate with) to have open primaries, but for now state legislatures get to decide how primaries are run. Louisiana has a non-partisan blanket primary, where voters could theoretically choose two Democrats as the general election candidates. Southern states historically set up their primary elections with the understanding that a white Democrat had to be on the general election ballot.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Doesn't say much for the voters. Can't really blame the candidate if the voters are suckers.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Virginia has open primaries

(You can actually only vote in one party's primary but you don't have to change your party registration to do so, or even have a party registration)

Also Sloww is absolutely right. Philly voters

Don't worry though Alby, your city ain't the only one with primary problems. DC voters must really hate black kids, because they ousted Fenty.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Yeah Nutter. He was in the film Law Abiding Citizen. Made a cameo appearance as a mayoral aide. If you saw that movie, you saw him.
            There is no good way to pronounce that name.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice to have a mayor that can relate to the voters on their level?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Politics at gunpoint ...
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  There is no good way to pronounce that name.
                  Nut-ter. pronounced as it looks.

I was going to find a campaign ad or something so you can hear him say his name but I found this... him rapping:

I think Nutter tries too hard for Black credibility.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

HOLY ****

The union that represents city firefighters -- which has battled Mayor Nutter on contract issues and station brownouts -- is now endorsing Nutter's sole Democratic challenger: Milton Street.

Philadelphia Firefighters’ Union Endorses Milton Street For Mayor

The union that represents city firefighters — which has battled Mayor Michael Nutter on contract issues and station brownouts — is now endorsing Nutter’s sole Democratic challenger: Milton Street.
                    Mike Brensan, the recording secretary for Firefighters Local 22, says the union leadership met with Milton Street and came away impressed that he would, as mayor, end policies of the Nutter administration that they find objectionable.
                    “We have a candidate come in tell us he’s going to restore the (fire) companies that were taken away, and ensure our members’ safety and the citizens of Philadelphia, we take that very seriously,” he told KYW Newsradio.
                    Some observers don’t consider Milton Street’s candidacy in the May Democratic primary to be viable.
                    Bresnan says Local 22 isn’t counting him out, and that this is more than simply a message aimed at Nutter.
                    A spokeswoman for the Nutter campaign attributes the union’s move to the fact that the Nutter administration is challenging the latest firefighters’ arbitration award in court. She said the endorsement will have no impact on the admiration the mayor has for firefighters.
                    Milton Street was sentenced in 2008 for failing to file tax returns and served about two thirds of his 30 month sentence.

WHAT THE ****!?! HOLY ****!?!!
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      HOLY ****

Milton Street was sentenced in 2008 for failing to file tax returns and served about two thirds of his 30 month sentence.

WHAT THE ****!?! HOLY ****!?!!
                      This is truly insane
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's Philly.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                          It's Philly.
                          Nothing to do with this but in other local news, Philly Police raided some houses in South Philly and the Kensington section of Philly and made 17 arrests in a dog-fighting ring. By all accounts, Mike Vick was uninvolved

Comment

Al, I'm curious - how can forgetting to file tax returns give a 2½ year jail sentence ? Here the goons just set you tax obscenely high (that is, higher than the obscenity level it already have), so you fix the problem in a hurry.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                              Al, I'm curious - how can forgetting to file tax returns give a 2½ year jail sentence ? Here the goons just set you tax obscenely high (that is, higher than the obscenity level it already have), so you fix the problem in a hurry.
                              Here such an oversight also adds to the obscenity of the penalties.
                              OTH If you simply don't file them as attempt at tax evasion you can possibly finish up in jail.

Comment

Probably my fault - different systems. Here you report your expected incoms/deductions for the next yer. That results in a tax card that you give your employer that then gives you your salary deducted taxes wich are send to the goons. Ways less paperwork and way less possiblity to cheat

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X