Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[X-Files] The Syndicate, were they right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [X-Files] The Syndicate, were they right?

I'm current burning through the X-Files series(your taxdollars at work), and I've just finished Season 6. For those of you not keeping track, this is the season where the Rebel Aliens kill the original Syndicate.

When the Cigarette Smoking Man lays out (some) of the conspiracy to Mulder he claims that colonization was inevitable, and by proposing a alien/hybrid they were prolonging the start of the colonization and saving lives.

Of course, at some point between the contact with the Colonists and the Syndicate the alien Rebels contacted the Syndicate and offered an alternative, whcih was rejected on the basis that (1)the Rebels wouldn't win and so (2)it would expedite the colonization process if they threw in with the Rebels.

Did the Syndicate make the correct decision?
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
    I'm current burning through the X-Files series(your taxdollars at work), and I've just finished Season 6. For those of you not keeping track, this is the season where the Rebel Aliens kill the original Syndicate.
    Do yourself a favor and quit right at that point. Holy crap did that show ever jump the shark hardcore. And the series finale was such a laughable insult that it cast a pall over the whole damned thing. *shudders*

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
    When the Cigarette Smoking Man lays out (some) of the conspiracy to Mulder he claims that colonization was inevitable, and by proposing a alien/hybrid they were prolonging the start of the colonization and saving lives.

Of course, at some point between the contact with the Colonists and the Syndicate the alien Rebels contacted the Syndicate and offered an alternative, whcih was rejected on the basis that (1)the Rebels wouldn't win and so (2)it would expedite the colonization process if they threw in with the Rebels.

Did the Syndicate make the correct decision?
    Well for themselves it was obviously the incorrect decision looking at who it was that killed them, but for humanity we simply can't know. There may have been some offhand references to the rebels winning or losing, but there's woefully inadequate information as to who had superiority in numbers, ships, technology, etc. What's more, we have no information as to why victory for the rebels would have been so much better for us, or what exactly they were offering. Is their biology such that they don't need to colonize us with the abdomen-critters, or did they just "promise" not colonize us? If the latter, why take them at their word when we were mere ants with virtually nothing to offer them in exchange? There's just no information to work with here.
    Last edited by Darius871; February 10, 2011, 04:23.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

I don't know anything about colonists/rebels.

non-arc xfile episodes :d:

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Monster-of-the-week episodes
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

What? That thing had a story?
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Good episodes

Bad episodes
            Blah

Comment

It was a bad decision because the entire series went downhill from there. Also, the monster of the week episodes contained some of the best of the series.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                Also, the monster of the week episodes contained some of the best of the series.
                All the best of the series.
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

X-Files pissed me off sometimes. It's another one of those things where people are like, "oh you're one of those."

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Sox View Post
                    It's another one of those things where people are like, "oh you're one of those."

Perhaps they're more right than you know...
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

Well maybe. But it gets annoying if people don't listen to you because they think you're crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader View Post
                        All the best of the series.
                        They definitely aged much better than the Conspiracy Arc did.
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                          Monster-of-the-week episodes
                          Those were actually really entertaining. The major plot ones got worse and worse and worse.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

What you all seem to be forgetting here is that episodes with cancer man = good.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              What you all seem to be forgetting here is that episodes with cancer man = good.
                              He was a good actor, and I liked the charecter...that doesn't mean the episodes he was in were uniformly good.

Comment

Working...
                              X