Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice!

Bird kills man at cockfight

Man dies after being stabbed by knife attached to rooster's limb at illegal cockfight in California

A man who was at an illegal cockfight in central California died after being stabbed in the leg by a bird which had a knife attached to its leg, officials said.

José Luis Ochoa, 35, of Lamont, California, was declared dead at a hospital about two hours after he was injured in nearby Tulare County on 30 January, the Kern County coroner said.

A postmortem concluded Ochoa died of an accidental "sharp force injury" to his right calf. Sheriff's spokesman Ray Pruitt said it was unclear if a delay in seeking medical attention contributed to his death.

"I have never seen this type of incident," Sgt Martin King, a 24-year veteran of the sheriff's department, told the Bakersfield Californian newspaper.

Ochoa and the other spectators fled when police arrived at the fight, King told the newspaper. Deputies found five dead roosters and other evidence of cockfighting, he said. No arrests were made.

Cockfighting is illegal in the United States. Specially bred roosters are put into a ring and encouraged to fight until one is incapacitated or killed, while spectators gamble on the outcome.

According to court records, Ochoa paid $370 (£230) in fines last year after pleading no contest to one count of owning or training an animal for fighting, according to the newspaper.

Attending or organising a cockfight, or training an animal to participate in one, are all misdemeanours under Californian law, although a second offence is a felony.
    Serves the douchbag right!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Yeah, what a moron. Everyone knows the correct way to torture chickens is to trap them in cages, decapitate them, and sell them to KFC.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

What a ****.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What I really want to know is how did he manage to die from a cut in the leg.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Simply dying from a cut in the leg is easy; all the bird needed to do was snag the femoral artery, IIRC. But that wouldn't explain how he survived for a couple of hours before succumbing.

EDIT: It was an injury to the calf anyway, so I don't think it could have been the femoral artery. Possibly it was just massive blood loss or shock or something. Paging Drs. Strangelove and Guynemer...
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
            What I really want to know is how did he manage to die from a cut in the leg.
            Femoral artery. It's how Sean Taylor died. He was shot and it severed it, though.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Hypovolemic shock?
              Hypovolemic shock is an emergency condition in which severe blood or other fluid loss makes the heart unable to pump enough blood to the body. This type of shock can cause many organs to stop working.

Thrombus?

Embolism?

Compartment syndrome?

Bird flu?

Hard to say, this artical gives little information.

I'm just a nurse
              Last edited by Docfeelgood; February 8, 2011, 17:37.

Comment

Two hours isn't enough to develop symptoms of bird flu, let alone die from it.

Compartment syndrome sounds like a similar story--not enough time. Embolism, I don't know enough to say, but what would have caused the clog? Ditto thrombus, I don't see why the blood would clot. Hypovolemic shock (death from blood loss) sounds the most likely of those culprits. Running from a crime scene with a serious wound on one's lower leg would be an excellent way to lose a crap-ton of blood. Or it could have been ordinary shock, I guess.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Lackanookie?

http://lackanookie.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/lackanooki/

Comment

Working...
                  X