I can't tell what's real anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't tell what's real anymore

In people's posts here. I can't tell if anything anyone is saying is actually what they really believe or if they are trolling or being sarcastic.

Every post now, I feel like I need to have two responses to, one for their comment being truthful and one for it being sarcasm.

STOP IT.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

you serious?
    Monkey!!!

Comment

You can't recognize sarcasm? Geez, you sound like some kind of stupid aspie or something.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

We have these smilies for a reason, people!
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          You can't recognize sarcasm? Geez, you sound like some kind of stupid aspie or something.
          No. Not in typed form here most of the time. Sometimes when I know someone wouldn't possibly believe in something, I know they're being sarcastic. But when it's people who I don't know where they stand on any given thing (like Ne5tor or whatever his name is and Kidicious), I am lost.

I can't be the only one.

Comment

being real is soooooo 20th century
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Is this really proper english ?

Every post now, I feel like I need to have two responses to, one for their comment being truthful and one for it being sarcasm.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                Is this really proper english ?
                It's not a perfect sentence by any means, but I have no problem parsing its meaning. The bit Al picked on you about in the other thread was much more ambiguous and had more fundamental errors. For example, you used an adjective as an adverb, which sticks out much more than, say, Al's use of the word "their" without a clear antecedent. Or his leaving out the "it" before the second comma. Those are the kinds of thing that I, at least, glide over without really noticing.
                1011 1100

Comment

It's not a perfect sentence by any means, but I have no problem parsing its meaning. The bit Al picked on you about in the other thread was much more ambiguous and had more fundamental errors. For example, you used an adjective as an adverb, which sticks out much more than, say, Al's use of the word "their" without a clear antecedent. Or his leaving out the "it" before the second comma. Those are the kinds of thing that I, at least, glide over without really noticing.

Elok

Comment

For the record, it's a silly argument. I'm just sticking up for my English-major word-nerd cred.
                    1011 1100

Comment

Well, I may have made a mistake - i shouldn't have put "for" in what I wrote, but that can't really be a serious problem.

EDIT: that little extra "for" shouldn't really give you any problem parsing my message.

Damn - I really have to be carefull when writing something here - some spellnazi may consider my statements as invalid just because I don't have engrish as first language
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

For the record, it's a silly argument. I'm just sticking up for my English-major word-nerd cred.
                        English is for people who couldn't cut it in linguistics.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

There are a couple of things wrong, but mostly it just feels like it was written by a foreigner. And, put simply, I can't quite figure out what you meant by it, which is pretty much the ultimate test.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            English is for people who couldn't cut it in linguistics.
                            A bachelor's in either is worthless, so what does it matter?
                            1011 1100

Comment

A bachelor's in linguistics puts you one step closer to Noam Chomsky, which is quasi-related to a real field like Computer Science.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X