Why do people care about Superbowl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Do people pay attention to what I post? Mobius, I already showed that according to SportsScience, NFL hits involve 3x the lbs of impact as rugby hits.

That rugby hits are harder than NFL hits is patently false. Let's move on.
    I love football however it doesn't hold a candle to the abuse rugby players take as it is similar in nature but without meaningful pads and/or helmets.

With respect to hockey the kinetic energy is dominated by the square of the velocity term not mass. Hence when an impact is made and the bodies come to essentially a zero stop the energy transmitted is dominated by the square of the velocity term. Hockey players simply go faster than football players with similar if slightly less than football player masses. Its simple physics. Hockey hits release more energy the players are similarly padded/armored.
    Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; February 9, 2011, 15:12.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
      Yeah, and two mismatched players were picked, so I say the result was invalid.
      How was it mismatched? Quentin Jammer is far smaller than that rugby player!
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
        That's nothing. Seriously.... sad if that's your demo hit...
        That was a pretty lame clip. I've been hit harder than that.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• You can't tell how hard a hit is by looking at it which makes this whole hit comparison thing stupid unless people are wired up with devices a la SportsScience. That's why I didn't want to start putting up videos because they don't tell the story.

For example, watch this hit. Doesn't look too bad, right? He's the one making the hit, not taking it. #85

Kevin Everett was paralyzed but fortunately can walk again but obviously is out of football. That hit was clean and doesn't look too bad but it destroyed his spine.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You can't tell how hard a hit is by looking at it ...
            Maybe you can't.

The clip Asher posted was a much harder hit. Hands down. No debate.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
              Maybe you can't.

The clip Asher posted was a much harder hit. Hands down. No debate.
              Kevin Everett had spinal damage.

Comment

• No doubt. He's a pansy football player.

Comment

Kevin Everett had spinal damage.
                  Some athletes in some sports just aren't as durable as others.

If you want to go for sporting injuries...

WARNING: Not for the weak stomached

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I suspect that was the cut neck video.

I ain't watching that again.

Comment

• So? It was a better (or worse, I guess) placed hit. Not necessarily harder.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        I suspect that was the cut neck video.

I ain't watching that again.

The skate slashed his carotid artery.

And for those wondering...yes, he survived. He's currently the Atlanta Thrashers' goaltending coach.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Oh I get it. Hockey and rugby are celebrated BECAUSE the risk of serious injury is significant. ****ing animals the lot of you.

Comment

Oh I get it. Hockey and rugby are celebrated BECAUSE the risk of serious injury is significant. ****ing animals the lot of you.
                            It's not celebrated because of the risk of serious injury. It's just a much tougher sport than football, and the stakes are higher.

It pushes the body to the limits much more.

Comment

It's not celebrated because of the risk of serious injury. It's just a much tougher sport than football, and the stakes are higher.

Do you like UFC fighting, Asher?

What about if they did UFC fighting with weapons Roman gladiator-style?

Comment

The stakes are higher? Not likely. If you win the Superbowl, you get to go to Disneyworld. If you win the Hockeybowl or whatever it's called, you get like a jock strap that belonged to some guy named Stanley, right?
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X