Inception Question- Spoilers Likely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inception Question- Spoilers Likely

I finally got a chance to see Inception. I enjoyed it a lot, but there was one part that really confused me: the opening scene. Why did Nolan choose to open with this scene? In medias res is an effective technique for drawing the audience in by introducing important drama at an earlier time than it would appear chronologically in the storyline. But I'm not sure that it is necessary in Inception.

First, the opening scenes after the first scene, are action-packed and interesting enough to hook the viewer on their own. They adequately address several of the important issues that will come up throughout the film and propose the necessary questions to keep the viewer watching.

Second, the questions that result from the first scene are answered to easily well before it occurs again in the film. Pretty much as soon as Ken Watanabe is shot and the threat of limbo is revealed, you know pretty much what's going to happen, which makes the "getting there" a little less interesting (though this is countered by the fact that the movie itself still remains strong).

Third, the drama between the first scene and its recurrence later in the movie is diminished due to the limited interaction and relationship between DiCaprio and Watanabe. While these characters are important to each other's goals, their relationship throughout the movie has been primarily a business one. They don't spend enough time with each other in the latter half build a believable friendship, feeling of mutual respect, or even animosity to justify the drama in that scene.

Fourth, the ending of the movie implies a puzzle as we don't get those last few important seconds. We are supposed to determine from the facts presented to us what the most likely outcome is. However, the first scene, being where is it, doesn't seem to really provide any additional information to answer that question than where it is chronologically.

Thus, to me, this first scene doesn't make much sense.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Can't help you. But I wasn't impressed by the movie. Probably due to it being overhyped.
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Because if they just said "Cobb stayed to find Saito" and then cut to that scene, it would have lost all of its impact. The fact that we'd seen it way, way back at the beginning of the movie helps give you a sense of the distance involved for Saito.

Comment

Working...
      X