X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google and the Bing Sting

Blogs / Discoblog
    Google’s ‘Bing Sting’ Suggests Microsoft’s Search Engine Plays Dirty

Following a spy-novelesque stunt dubbed the Bing Sting, Google has denounced Microsoft for stealing its search results–and Bing’s reaction is nothing short of ambiguous.

Google reportedly got suspicious after it found that Bing’s search results replicated misspelled words from its own results, so the company decided to run a test by linking fake search results to nonsense search terms–and Bing took the bate.

Quoting Google software engineer Amit Singhal, the BBC reports:

“A search for ‘hiybbprqug’ on Bing returned a page about seating at a theatre in Los Angeles. As far as we know the only connection between the query and result is Google’s result page,” he said…. “We noticed that URLs from Google search results would later appear in Bing with increasing frequency,” he went on.

Bing’s reaction to the Google accusation is quite ambiguous: it refutes Google’s words at times, but seems to make excuses for itself at others. From the BBC:

Harry Shum, vice president of Bing, said: “We do not copy Google’s search results. We use multiple signals and approaches in ranking search results,” he added…. “Opt-in programs like the toolbar help us with clickstream data, one of many input signals we and other search engines use to help rank sites,” he added.

Although this last quote gives the impression that Bing doesn’t merely steal Google’s work, Bing Director Adam Sohn has a slightly different story. Wired quotes Sohn:

“Everyone uses clickstream data in search. If Google was two percent of the internet, then maybe we wouldn’t look at what users do, but Google is a huge part of the internet.”

Although it still isn’t clear to what extent Bing relies on Google for its search results, the Bing Sting raises new questions about search engines and ‘authorship.’ The BBC quotes search engine expert Danny Sullivan:

“Every search engine has its own ‘search voice’, a unique set of search results that it provides, based on its collection of documents and its own particular method of ranking those…. I think Bing should develop its own search voice without using Google’s as a tuning fork,” he added.

Hack writers copy the style–or voice–of established writers all the time; are the rules the same in the world of search engines? The answer, it appears, depends on who you ask.
    Discover satisfies everyday curiosity with relevant and approachable science news, feature articles, photos and more.

How damaging is this to credibility?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

I saw this yesterday. Pretty sneaky of Microsoft. I'm not really sure if it's sneaky in a good way or sneaky in a bad way.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sneaky in a bad way because of the way the Bing toolbar is essentially sniffing searches from users on other engines.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I just want good results; don't care how they're arrived at as long as it's legal.
        It does sort of take the bloom off the rose for Bing however.

What I find most disturbing is the article's contention that Bing took the "bate"...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

All I know is Bing loves my website more than Google so good for Bing

(Actually I do have an article online that ranks #1 in like 10 keywords on Bing where they are 2-7 on Google, so [no-index]Bing [/no-index ... don't ban my Adsense plz] )

Comment

Why would anyone be surprised by anything Microsoft does? I use their products as minimally as possible for a reason.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
              Sneaky in a bad way because of the way the Bing toolbar is essentially sniffing searches from users on other engines.
              I don't see how that's sneaky -- you've gotta know your search data in the BING TOOLBAR is highly likely going to be used by BING. Data is money. Why do you think they even make those stupid toolbars?

Not surprised at all, and I don't think it's damaging to their credibility because the only people who use Bing don't know anything about search. I would hope companies use all the data at their disposal to improve their product, so I don't see the big deal. Google's results are not proprietary.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I've used the Bing toolbar. IIRC I got a free xBox360 wireless controller out of it... though it might have been something else... while using Google search.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  I don't see how that's sneaky -- you've gotta know your search data in the BING TOOLBAR is highly likely going to be used by BING. Data is money. Why do you think they even make those stupid toolbars?
                  My understanding is that it wasn't data in the bing toolbar, it was data on a web page that was loaded in a browser that had the toolbar installed. Not quite the same thing. Any yes, I know of the various (mostly evil) ways that BHOs are used, and that they are covered legally by clickwraps most of the time, but that doesn't change the fact that it's behavior that would land people in jail under other circumstances. I can't credibly call a clickwrap "informed consent" when it comes to most users understanding what data is being transmitted, where it is being stored, or how it is going to be used.
                  "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Good band name.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks!
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Don't use Bing anyway.

Comment

Bing seems to give better results when searching for a business or other organisation.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                          X