Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do in a post-scarcity world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do in a post-scarcity world?

Mature molecular nanotechnology allows for the nearly instantaneous creation of nearly anything, and perfected fusion/solar/anti-matter/whatever power means energy is virtually free. Hunger and poverty are eliminated with Star Trek-like replicators, and every human on Earth has the opportunity to pursue whatever they wish. In such a scenario, what would you choose to do with your life?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

reproduction

Comment

Would VR sex be considered "cheating"?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Barclay-up the holodeck.
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

What do you mean by "post-scarcity"? Can I have an entire planet of my own filled with stuff I want?

Comment

Why don't you ask about a pre-scarcity world? Because that's where we're headed.
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Snowboard.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

spend more time here.
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Scarlett Johanssen

Comment

Re: What would you do in a post-scarcity world?

There is no such thing.

Comment

I'd try serial killer on for size.
                      APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

If we lived in a communist utopia, I would teach.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Who would you teach? In a post-scarcity world we would have unlimited android teachers better than any human teacher.

Comment

The only thing that could come out of this is constant and unfulfilling hedonism
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              Mature molecular nanotechnology allows for the nearly instantaneous creation of nearly anything, and perfected fusion/solar/anti-matter/whatever power means energy is virtually free. Hunger and poverty are eliminated with Star Trek-like replicators, and every human on Earth has the opportunity to pursue whatever they wish. In such a scenario, what would you choose to do with your life?
                              People would generally compete for the remaining scarce goods and services. Unless we self-modify things like fame, prestige, respect and power will nearly always be zerosum.

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              There is no such thing.
                              +1

However since this thread is more along the lines of "a genie grants you infinite number of wishes" I'll go along.
                              1. Upload into software form
                              2. Self-optimize with the help of expert systems to increase intelligence, improve memory, gain ability to modify (now virtual) hormonal system on the fly and reduce my need for virtual "sleep" ect.
                              3. Study a science, history and literature for fun for a few hundred years.
                              4. Travel to other star systems just for the heck of it and do math on the long trips for fun.
                              Last edited by Heraclitus; January 29, 2011, 05:24.
                              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                              X