Jimmy Buffett Falls From Stage In Australia, Suffers Head Injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Buffett Falls From Stage In Australia, Suffers Head Injury

Singer Jimmy Buffett falls off the stage in Sydney, taken to hospital Piers Akerman From: The Daily Telegraph January 27, 2011 12:00AM

AFTER singing "It's been a lovely cruise, I'm sorry it's ended" singer Jimmy Buffett crashed off the stage after his final Sydney concert last night and was rushed to hospital with a head injury.
    Shocked fans at the sell-out concert at the Hordern Pavilion were urged to leave the auditorium by Buffett's Australian tour manager Michael Chugg as the 64-year-old entertainer lay on the floor in front of the first row of seating waiting for paramedics and an ambulance to arrive.

He was rushed to Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital, in Darlinghurst, thirty minutes after the accident.

Neither Chugg nor his assistant David Pope would comment on Buffett's condition at the scene but an audience member said it appeared the entertainer had struck his head and was bleeding as he lay on the floor.

Chugg took the stage and insisted anxious fans leave immediately with security hustling the audience outside before the ambulance arrived.

Several fans said they felt that some statement could have been made about Buffett's condition before they were pushed outside.

After Buffett fell it appeared as if security men were arguing with a large man who had been at the front of the audience.

Audience member Dan Bateman, 30, told The Daily Telegraph Buffett fell face first off the stage.

"We were in the 10th row and it looked like he did a massive face plant after his encore and pretty much didn't get up,'' Mr Bateman, from Cairns, said.

"We were told to leave the premises. No one really wanted to leave because everyone was anxious to know if he survived the fall. Everyone was pretty horrified.''

Buffett had performed at the Opera House for three sell-out shows before last night's Australia Day performance which was a late add-on to accomodate fans unable to get tickets to the performances earlier in the week.

His last show was full of references to Australia and Australia Day, and, after apologising for not appearing in the country for 20 years, he said he and his Coral Reefer Band would return in 2012.

I hope he's okay.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

After 40 years of performing high, it's not a huge surprise. Buffett is 64.

He is said to be "in stable condition" and remains in the hospital under observation.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

That sucks.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Now that he's in stable condition, are we allowed to make tacky jokes like "at least he's not wasting away again" or "bit worse than cutting his heel and having to cruise back home, huh?"
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yes, I believe that's now permissible.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Now that he's in stable condition, are we allowed to make tacky jokes like ...

You can but be careful - someone may mistake you for a Dead Pooler.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yay!

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              After 40 years of performing high, it's not a huge surprise. Buffett is 64.
              So...you're suggesting that maybe... it's his own damn fault?

Anyway, it's good he's stable. I was afraid he'd have to get cryogenics, and I hate it when the docs use a frozen concoction to help me hang on.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
              X