Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Corrupt World of Lincoln Historians

Where's MrFun?

The National Archives says a longtime Abraham Lincoln researcher has been caught telling a big lie about Honest Abe.
    The Archives said Monday that historian Thomas P. Lowry, 78, of Woodbridge, has acknowledged that he used a fountain pen with special ink to change the date on a presidential pardon issued by Lincoln to a military deserter, making it appear that Lowry had uncovered a document of historical significance.
    Specifically, Lowry changed the date of the pardon from April 14, 1864 to April 14, 1865. The Archive said the change made it look as if Lowry had discovered a document that was perhaps Lincoln's final official act before he was assassinated that evening at Ford's Theatre.
    Lowry's purported discovery was hailed by historians when he came forward in 1998. At the time, a Civil War expert with the Archives said Lowry had made "a unique and substantial contribution to Lincoln research and to the study of the Civil War."
    The National Archives gave the document prominent display, putting it on tour along with other important Lincoln documents.
    But for several years, archivist Thomas Plante had been troubled by the document. The '5' appeared to be darker than the rest of the document and was perhaps covering another number. Plante then checked the document against an authoritative collection of Lincoln's writings, which showed the pardon of a Union Army deserter named Patrick Murphy had occurred in 1864. At that point, Plante took his concerns to the Archives' Office of Inspector General, where an investigator shared Plante's suspicions.
    The Archives said it then contacted Lowry to try and determine what happened.
    After initially refusing to speak with them, Lowry confessed to the Archives earlier this month to changing the date while he reviewed the documents in an Archives reading room in Washington to which historians and other members of the public enjoy access, officials said. He told the Archives he did it so it would appear that he had uncovered a historically significant document.
    Calls to Lowry, a retired psychiatrist and a historian who has written numerous books on the Civil War, were not returned Monday. Over the past 15 years he has written books on sexual misbehavior in the Civil War and wartime bawdy houses in the Washington area, as well as works on Lincoln and military justice.
    Archives spokeswoman Susan Cooper said tampering with a document is a federal crime and that the Archives referred the case earlier this month to the Justice Department for prosecution. But she said officials were told that the statute of limitations had expired so Lowry could not be prosecuted.
    The Archives has banned Lowry from its facilities.
    Cooper said the archives is trying to determine if the document can be restored. While Cooper said that any document with Abraham Lincoln's signature is significant, the document "becomes one of many pardons that Lincoln signed."
    When you look at it, you can kind of tell it was originally a 4

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

History of humanity has to be rewritten
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It does indeed. This changes everything.

Comment

I bet he was some southern piece of ****!
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Do you think this will lead to a resumption of the Civil War?

Comment

I been trying to tell you people for years that Lincoln was the consummate politician. It's thought that since I'm from Texas, I must be lying.
            Maybe next you'll find out that I've been telling the truth about the real reasons for Southern succession. Not that I care, believe what you want.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It will be interesting to see what treatment Mr. Lowry gets, as opposed to, say, Mr. Berger.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I personally think that we should use this one example to paint all Lincoln historians as evil self serving people regardless of their sexual orientation.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  I been trying to tell you people for years that Lincoln was the consummate politician. It's thought that since I'm from Texas, I must be lying.

Maybe next you'll find out that I've been telling the truth about the real reasons for Southern succession. Not that I care, believe what you want.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

What, Lincoln was "the consummate politician" because he pardoned a deserter? Or because some historian tampered with his writing 130 years later?

Comment

The Emancipation Proclamation, and everything else that he did.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Damn that Lincoln, freeing most of the slaves...

Comment

Seriously, what if any impact does this have on the Lincoln legacy?
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                            Where's MrFun?
                            This historian has been revealed to be a fraud. Good on the Archives for banning him.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                              Damn that Lincoln, freeing most of the slaves...
                              Exactly - if part of the reason for doing the right, moral thing is political motivation, then it's best not to do the right thing at all.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X