Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Mail - why, someone please explain why.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Mail - why, someone please explain why.....

It's Friday night and I’m in the Ram bar on Park Street in Bristol.

This is where Joanna Yeates spent her last evening before she set off up the hill, past all the twinkly shops and bars (a Habitat, a Space NK beauty emporium; Bristol is nothing if not upwardly mobile) towards her death.

The bar is OK but ordinary. The wine list, chalked on a board, says ‘Lauren Perrier’.

I wish she had spent what were probably her last hours on earth somewhere lovelier. The food is awful (I ask for a veggie burger and it comes without the burger – and without the bun!) but the young women behind the bar are sweet with huge, wary eyes.

Alex is working her way through uni, where she is studying English. She comes from London and her parents are now terrified something is going to happen to her.

She was working in the bar on the night of December 17, when Joanna was having a drink before heading home. ‘I don’t remember her,’ she says.

‘It was so busy that night. I used to walk home but I always get a cab now.’

Lyn, with white blonde hair, who was also working here that night, says she is ‘more fearful now, I’m more nervous. It’s just so mysterious’.

I leave the bar at 8pm and retrace Joanna’s steps. Even though it’s January, the streets are packed. There are a couple of women joggers but they are with boyfriends or husbands.

I walk past the beautiful university building on my right, with Waitrose on my left. I wander the bright aisles, full of young women rushing round after work, leaving with carrier bags and expectation.

I head up the hill towards Clifton, the leafy part of the city. It’s quieter now, and darker. I find Tesco, and go in. I almost buy that upmarket pizza; the choice tells me Jo wanted a lovely life, something above the ordinary.

There is one police van on the green as I turn right into Canynge Road.

I bet Jo’s heart lifted as she reached this junction, looking forward to the feeling only a Friday night near Christmas can give you.

As I near her basement flat, at No 44, the road is quiet. Earlier in the day there had been an ITN news van here but it has gone now. I’m reassured to see two policemen standing vigil at her iron gate, either side of a small, discreet pile of flowers in varying degrees of decay.

I tell them I’m spooked, walking here. ‘Don’t be spooked,’ one says. ‘Residents are campaigning to get brighter street lights installed.’ So the antique, lovely ones are to disappear to be replaced by ugly ones because of something even uglier.

That afternoon I had gone to the lane where Jo’s body was found. It was horrible and windswept. I don’t know what I had expected but not this.

There was no ceremony here, no policeman, just that lovely face on a now dog-eared poster. I got the feeling the world is starting to forget Jo, that she’ll become just another thumbnail on the Avon and Somerset Police website, along with the faces of the other murder victims no one can recall.

I’d have expected the cars to slow down here to show respect but they sped past, carrying people on their way home from work. The lane is narrow. I can’t see how a car stopped here and a man struggled with a body without being beeped at and told to get out the way, as I was.

There were no messages with the flowers, just one card, still sealed in its Cellophane. The person who left it hadn’t bothered to scrawl a note.

Leaving Jo’s flat, I return to my car. My satnav takes me to the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

The theory is the killer took the long route from the flat to where he dumped the body to avoid the CCTV cameras. Perhaps he also wanted to avoid the 50p toll.

I don’t have 50p and try tossing 30p and a White Company button into the bucket. It doesn’t work.

There is now an angry queue behind me. Isn’t it interesting that you can snatch a young woman’s life away from her in the most violent, painful, frightening way possible, take away her future children, her future Christmases, take away everything she loves, and yet there are elaborate systems in place to ensure you do not cross a bridge for only 30 pence?

Finally, a man in a taxi jumps out, and runs to me brandishing a 50p piece.

‘Not all men are monsters,’ he says, grinning. Maybe not. But one monster is all it takes.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Spoiler:

Is lovely Liz becoming just another thumbnail on the Daily Mail website?

Karen Fenessey retraces the steps of Liz Jones, the night she wrote her article for the Mail on Sunday

It's Friday night and I am in a bar not far from Liz Jones's house near Taunton. This is where Liz stopped off for a drink before she set off home past all the twinkly shops (a Boots, a JJB Sports, a 'Marks and Sparks'; Taunton is nothing if not a place that has some shops) towards her laptop computer.

I wish she had spent what were probably her last hours before writing her article somewhere lovelier. The food is awful (I ask for sausage and chips and it comes without the sausage - and without the chips!) but the young women behind the bar are sweet with huge, wobbly eyes.

Alex is working her way through uni, where she is studying something called 'English'. She comes from London and her parents are now terrified she might become a journalist for the Daily Mail. She was working here that night. She says she saw things. With her eyes.

Lyn, with very very very very blonde hair, who was also working here that night, says she is 'more fearful of newspapers now, I'm more nervous. It's just so mysterious how someone could have written an article like that'.

I leave the bar at 8pm and retrace Liz's steps. Even though it's January, the streets have people on them all walking somewhere or other. There are a couple of women joggers but they are with boyfriends or husbands who are reading the Independent.

I walk past a university building on my right (no doubt full of people with pens) with Waitrose on my left. I wander the bright aisles, full of young women rushing round after work - it's almost as if they are shopping. They leave with carrier bags full of expectation and yoghurt.

I head up the hill towards the leafy part of Taunton. It's quieter now, and darker. I find Tesco, and go in. This also turns out to be a shop. I almost buy the same upmarket pizza that Liz bought; the choice tells me she liked ham, but really good ham. Not ham that was full of water and hormones. Ham that you can get from a nice village butcher full of young women rushing around.

When I reach Liz's sleepy village, there is one police van on the green as I turn right into her street.

I bet her heart lifted as she reached this spot, looking forward to the feeling only a Friday night spent composing something utterly unspeakable for the Mail on Sunday can give you.

As I near her house, the road is quiet. It's almost as if there are no other people in the immediate vicinity. Earlier in the day there had been an ITN news van but I notice from the absence of big vans with 'ITN' written on the side that it has gone now. I'm reassured to see two policemen standing vigil at her iron gate, either side of a small, discreet pile of dog turds in varying degrees of decay.

I tell them I'm spooked, walking here. 'Don't be spooked,' one says. 'Residents are campaigning to get brighter street lights installed so they can see Liz Jones coming and pretend to be statues.' So the old antique, lovely nice ones are to disappear to be replaced by not nice ones that are all new because of something even not nicer.

That afternoon I had gone to the newsagent where Liz's article was discovered. It was horrible and windswept. I don't know what I had expected. A newsagent possibly. I'm not really sure.

There was no ceremony here, no policeman, just the article on a now dog-eared poster. I got the feeling the world is starting to forget Liz, that she'll become just another thumbnail on the Daily Mail website, along with Peter Hitchens, Jan Moir and that ****ing lunatic Melanie Phillips.

I'd have expected the cars to slow down here to show respect but they sped past, as if people were driving them. Were they driving home from work? Did the police even care? The lane is narrow. I can't see how someone could have come out of the newsagent with a copy of the Daily Mail without being beeped at and told to get out the way, as I was just because I was standing in the middle of the road.

There were no messages with the turds, just one card, still sealed in its Cellophane. The person who left it hadn't bothered to remove the Cellophane or write on the Cellophane. I thought about Cellophane. Did the police even care?

Leaving the newsagent, I return to my car. My satnav takes me to the M6.

The theory is Liz's article took the long route from her house to the newsagent to avoid the CCTV cameras. Perhaps it also wanted to avoid paying the £5 toll.

I don't have £5 and try tossing a Kraft cheese single and a Michael Bublé CD into the toll booth. It doesn't work.

There is now an angry queue behind me. Isn't it interesting that you can write an article for the Mail on Sunday in the most violent, painful, frightening way possible and yet there are elaborate systems in place to ensure you do not get to break the law?

Finally, a man in a taxi jumps out, and runs to me brandishing a £5 note.

'Not all men are Liz Jones,' he says, grinning. Maybe not. But one Liz Jones is all it takes.

Comment

later,...i have a HA.

Comment

What in the name of all that is holy is that ridiculous article? Have The Daily Mail taken leave of their senses? Did they have senses in the first place? It would've been different if Di was still alive, mark my words!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I like the spoof version on the Mash website. The comments on the Daily Mail website are also hilarious.

Comment

What's the fuss about? A woman got killed, they have no new information, so they had one of the people from the Arts section write a highly speculative and pointless tearjerker to fill a half-page on a slow day. Happens all the time over here.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The writing is atrocious.

Comment

I hope she didn't pay for the veggieburger!
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

But she did. It's why she was 20p short.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                    The writing is atrocious.
                    You have high standards in routine, exploitative fluff pieces? I don't even read the things, I figure all vultures are ugly. I recall some girl named "Natalee Holloway" disappeared or died or something a few years back. I never bothered to find out which exactly.
                    1011 1100

Comment

Elok, this is more than just a fluff piece. Apart from plumbing new depths of journalistic depravity and stupidity, it's also in the Daily Mail. The spoof Mash piece got it spot on, especially the bit about tossing a Kraft cheese single and a Michael Bublé CD into the toll booth.

The thing is she probably gets paid about £100,000 a year to write that drivel.

Comment

I had never herd of Michael Buble until reading the spoof.

Also, the original article is no worse than half the articles in any given newspaper. At least it's merely maudlin and vapid rather than actively increasing the ignorance of those who read it.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh, is The Daily Mail a more highbrow paper? I get your papers mixed up. But we do get The Economist, and I'd be baffled to find one of those little turds in there. Not angry, but baffled. I only get grumpy when they do things that go beyond tasteless and into the realm of dangerous and/or irresponsible, like "reporting the controversy" on cranks.
                          1011 1100

Comment

The Daily Mail is, according to my recollection, viewed as precisely the opposite of a highbrow newspaper.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh? Then what's the, uh...

(consults British-English dictionary)

...sticky wicket? The WaPo drops these turds all the time, it's almost all they print in the Sunday magazine. Maybe they're just not as acclimated on the other side of the pond?
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X