China to station troops in N. Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China to station troops in N. Korea

[WIKI]SEOUL (AFP) – China is in discussions with North Korea about stationing its troops in the isolated state for the first time since 1994, a South Korean newspaper reported Saturday.

The Chosun Ilbo newspaper quoted an anonymous official at the presidential Blue House as saying that Beijing and Pyongyang recently discussed details of stationing Chinese soldiers in the North's northeastern city of Rason.

The official said the soldiers would protect Chinese port facilities, but the location also gives access to the Sea of Japan (East Sea), while a senior security official was quoted as saying it would allow China to intervene in case of North Korean instability.

A spokeswoman for the Blue House said she had no information, while China's defence ministry declined comment to AFP on the matter this week.

"North Korea and China have discussed the issue of stationing a small number of Chinese troops to protect China-invested port facilities" in the Rason special economic zone, the unnamed official was quoted as saying.

"The presence of Chinese troops is apparently to guard facilities and protect Chinese nationals."

China reportedly gained rights in 2008 to use a pier at Rason, securing access to the Sea of Japan (East Sea), as North Korea's dependence on Beijing continues to grow amid a nuclear stand-off with the United States and its allies.

The last Chinese troops left the North in 1994, when Beijing withdrew from the Military Armistice Commission that supervises the truce that ended the 1950-53 Korean war.

Seoul's International Security Ambassador Nam Joo-Hong told the Chosun Ilbo that China could now send a large number of troops into the North in case of instability in the impoverished communist state.

"The worst scenario China wants to avoid is a possibly chaotic situation in its northeastern provinces which might be created by massive inflows of North Korean refugees," Nam was quoted as saying.

"Its troops stationed in Rason would facilitate China's intervention in case of contingencies in the North," he said.[/WIKI]

Hmmm...happy fvcking new year.

Wow, China is so generous.

Comment

I'd guess the whole point is to prevent North Korea from collapsing. Personally, I think it would be better if North Korea did collapse but no doubt China really doesn't want to see South Korea taking the whole place over. They'd rather keep their client state.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"unnamed official"
        Blah

Comment

Why didn't their mama give them a name? That was mean.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
            I'd guess the whole point is to prevent North Korea from collapsing. Personally, I think it would be better if North Korea did collapse but no doubt China really doesn't want to see South Korea taking the whole place over. They'd rather keep their client state.
            They don't want NK to collapse because of the refugee problem that one would have.
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.â€
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The Chinese also like the idea of having their troops stationed overseas like US troops. It further confirms their "we made it" feeling. Expect more troop deployments in Africa and the Middle East over the next decade.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Which reminds me why does the US once it stations troops in a country never ever go away?

I mean I'm pretty sure the Japanese and Germans have learned their lesson by now. Also its not like the Soviet Union will be marching in Berlin as soon as you withdraw troops. Isn't having them stationed there just a waste of money?
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.â€
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The bases are now used to support other missions now or are forward operating bases plus most of the time the local nation wants them there as they help boost the economy of the local area.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I've always thought China feels NK is not stable and not predictable enough. And that the West's best NK policy is to have a good China presence close. They're rational. Nobody likes an unstable weird country with nukes right next to them.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's not like the Canadians can do anything about it.

What?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

If Chinese troops were deployed at the border there might be fewer incidents. Also this might calm down NK's leaders by giving them reassurance that NK isn't completely alone. Maybe it's sort of like the initial agreement in the early part of the 20th century to deploy a token British force in France if the Germans invaded. At first that was all the Pro-French military leaders in the UK could promise, maybe a regiment or a division. The French were reassured that once British soldiers started dying that more would follow. (Later this number got expanded to a full corps sized force.)
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Which is the rationale for our own forces in SK, no? We don't have enough there to actually make a huge difference in the event of an all-out NK invasion. I've seen it referred to as a "tripwire" that guarantees our involvement in such a war.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                          X