Asking vs. Telling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking vs. Telling

The way I, as a lowly engineer, work with others, regardless of rank or department, is to include them in my thought process and to ask for their assistance where they can supply it. For example, if I need the lab to run some samples for me I run over my experiment with the lab supervisor (or whoever may be responsible for running the samples), solicit advice, and then ask if they would take responsibility for running the samples and getting the data back to me. Personally, I generally have a good relationship with those I work with.

My new colleague, entry level engineer, has been pissssing off a certain individual here, and I have been called in to help get this engineer on the straight and narrow. Well, he just sent email to this guy requesting his services, but I don't see a "please" or anything that would make me think he is asking for his help, more or less he just telling him to do his job. At least that is how I read it. He did say "kindly" in the email. My colleague is Indian (dot Indian, not feather).

Is saying, for example, "Kindly run my samples" the same as "Please run my samples" or "Would you please run my samples"? Or, is my colleague missing this workplace courtesy?
    Monkey!!!

Your colleague is missing workplace courtesy. I make a point of being pleasant and polite...people will help you out far more and it makes your life a bit easier...especially if you can make some friends at the same time.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Just attribute it to the poor parenting umbrella. That covers everything these days.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It might be a cultural linguistic variant. Perhaps in his mental model of workplace manners, the structure he uses is a polite one. Perhaps you could consider this, and explain to him that his choice of words might be misinterpreted.

Or he might just be a c0ck.

Comment

Just be thankful he isn't using every Indian Professional's favourite phrase: "Please do the needful"

**** that drives me crazy.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Maybe he just plays too much Bioshock.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"Kindly do the needful" would be much better, I agree

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                Maybe he just plays too much Bioshock.

Comment

Yes, "kindly" is a dot-Indian word for "would you please". My developers always ask me "kindly to retest the same" and get back to them.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    Just be thankful he isn't using every Indian Professional's favourite phrase: "Please do the needful"

**** that drives me crazy.

My other "favourite" word from our Indian colleagues is "updation"...I mean, come on, it's not even a real word!
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You racist bastards!!!!

I mean "Kindly, stop being racist bastards, please."

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Oh, yes, updation. And their warm regards at the end of their letters. I send them lukewarm regards in return when I'm really pissed off at their ****ty code.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I have a couple of friends working at coding companies, and they both mention we're getting increasingly more work that used to be handed over to the Indians.
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Don't ask, don't tell - beg.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

title: my sample
                              body: indian.run my sample
                              end: kindly
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X