The Settlers of Palestine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Settlers of Palestine

Yeah, yeah, there's an "Other Games" forum, I know, but it's kinda dead in there. Has anybody else played this awesome game? If you haven't, it's hard to explain, but basically, all the players are Israeli politicians, putting down settlements on land which is rightfully theirs, sort of, and trying to build up a primitive economy so they can earn "election points." The first player to get ten election points wins.

So, how do you get election points? A lot of ways. First, every settlement is worth one or more, depending on its size. You buy settlements (and everything else) with Food, People, Money and Zionist Rhetoric, raised by existing settlements. You also get election points for building the longest length of wall or hiring the largest peacekeeping force (which are purchased with the same four resources).

But what really mixes it up are the event cards. If you have enough Money and Zionist Rhetoric, you can buy a draw off the deck. Here's what you can get:

-PALESTINIAN SQUATTERS. Uh-oh, there are some politically inconvenient people in the 'hood! Whoever draws this card can foist this off on another player's spot, where they will, most annoyingly, prevent any resources from being harvested until either the card is drawn and used again or the player uses up a peacekeeping force to relocate them.

-GRUMPY FOREIGN DIPLOMAT SPEECH. This card can be inflicted like the P.S., but all it does is prevent the struck player from buying anything for one turn. It doesn't really affect gameplay that much, and to be honest I think they could have just left it out of the deck.

-INTIFADA. Now we're talking! One enemy settlement gets reduced in size by one, or removed entirely if it's size one.

-PUBLIC RELATIONS NIGHTMARE. Oops, somebody just demolished a building with the Arabs still in it--and it was a preschool! Unlike the previous three cards, this card affects whoever draws it, and it counts as -2 election points. It's aggravatingly common for such a devastating draw (there are three in the deck), but it does discourage people from spamming event cards.

-PEACE TALKS. As an incentive for good behavior, the U.S. gives you three units of money, which you can use to buy soldiers, walls or additional settlements.

-ARCHEOLOGICAL DISCOVERY. This coveted card produces one unit of Zionist Rhetoric per turn for the rest of the game! True, Z.R. is the most common resource, but this card is immensely valuable nonetheless.

There were some other cards, too, but I don't remember what. I've only just started playing, and already I'm hooked--I feel like I could play this little game for years and not get bored!
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

It sounded like Elok Wit™ but I won't lie... I still googled it to make sure it wans't a real game; you never know. There was that Columbine game, after all.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I like the sound of this game, it could work
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

this is hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          It sounded like Elok Wit™ but I won't lie... I still googled it to make sure it wans't a real game; you never know. There was that Columbine game, after all.
          It belatedly occurs to me to ask: have you heard of Settlers of Catan at all?

Actually, given the muted response, how many of the people who've looked at this thread have heard of the game? Is everybody just looking at this and saying "huh?"
          Last edited by Elok; January 5, 2011, 22:22.
          1011 1100

Comment

I got the Catan link right off. It is why I opened the thread in the first place.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Vaguely. There's also this whole long series of computer games:

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                It belatedly occurs to me to ask: have you heard of Settlers of Catan at all?

Actually, given the muted response, how many of the people who've looked at this thread have heard of the game? Is everybody just looking at this and saying "huh?"
                Despite the fact that I play Settlers somewhat frequently, I didn't think of it specifically until the second time I opened the thread. I thought you were just riffing on boardgames in general. Oh, and another belated response:
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I've heard of the Settlers of Catan game, but that's really it, never played this, or various other settler games.

Given my expertise on the matter I think "Settlers of Palestine" needs surely more event cards, like:

-RANDOM AIRSTRIKES. They can target Palestinian areas, neighbouring countries or allied warships. Success is decided by dice rolls, and gives you more "election points".

-ARMS DEAL. Players who got this card can use it once to double the election points from a later drawn RANDOM AIRSTRIKES card of their choice, but the decision to use it has to be made before the dice roll.

-INTL OUTRAGE. Similar to PUBLIC RELATIONS NIGHTMARE, but is exclusively used to nullify election points won by an opposing player of your choice via RANDOM AIRSTRIKES in the last three rounds

-US PEACE INITIATIVE. Limits settlement growth, but just for one turn.

-EU PEACE INITIATIVE. No effect, just flavour.
                  Blah

Comment

See, this is how I'm crazy: I looked at those suggestions and immediately thought, "Hmm, what effect would those have if actually implemented in this gag game I just made up and nobody will ever play?"

Why? Because I'm secretly planning to start a whole line of politically insensitive edutainment games. It's so secret, even I don't know about it, but I am. Next in line is "The Mexican Trail," where you play a family of Guatemalans trying to get to Texas.

"Will you cling to the side of a rushing freight train for the next eleven hours, thereby shaving several hundred miles off your journey?" Y
                    "JOSE fell asleep and fell off in the middle of the Sierra Madre, broke most of his bones and was probably eaten by some sort of large carnivore. Santa Muerte have mercy on his soul."
                    1011 1100

Comment

I am selling a strategy guide... available for download on Kindle and etch-a-sketch. Like us on facebook.

Comment

I have a copy of Settlers of Catan

Comment

I actually assumed you were describing some sort of crappy themed Catan/ripoff.

Comment

I heard about Settler first time. It's a bit interesting. Can you guide me how to play this? Waiting for your response?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              I actually assumed you were describing some sort of crappy themed Catan/ripoff.
                              You're kidding me, right?
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X