• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if I could, I'd nominate Steve Jobs for 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
      if I could, I'd nominate Steve Jobs for 2011
      Okay, let me explain how this works....

You make your nominations in December (as at least a couple of our players did in picking Jobs), not when a celeb suddenly blows up in the headlines. It's a little tougher this way.

You are predicting the winner of last week's horse race.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Timing is everything.

Two of my Jacks went but I didn't get an updated list submitted in time.
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Doubtful that anyone had him, but R.I.P

Bluesman David 'Honeyboy' Edwards dead at 96
          Aug. 30, 2011, 4:56 AM EST

CHICAGO (AP) -- Grammy-winning Blues musician David "Honeyboy" Edwards, believed to be the oldest surviving Delta bluesman and whose roots stretched back to blues legend Robert Johnson, died early Monday in his Chicago home, his manager said. He was 96.

Edwards had a weak heart and his health was in serious decline in May, when the guitarist had to cancel concerts scheduled through November, said his longtime manager, Michael Frank of Earwig Music Company.

Born in 1915 in Shaw, Miss., Edwards learned the guitar growing up and started playing professionally at age 17 in Memphis, Tenn.

He came to Chicago in the 1940s and played on Maxwell Street, small clubs and street corners. By the 1950s, Edwards had played with almost every bluesman of note — including Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Charlie Patton and Muddy Waters. Among Edwards' hit songs were "Long Tall Woman Blues," "Gamblin' Man" and "Just Like Jesse James."

Edwards played his last shows in April at the Juke Joint Festival in Clarksdale, Miss., Frank said.

"Blues ain't never going anywhere," Edwards told The Associated Press in 2008. "It can get slow, but it ain't going nowhere. You play a lowdown dirty shame slow and lonesome, my mama dead, my papa across the sea I ain't dead but I'm just supposed to be blues. You can take that same blues, make it uptempo, a shuffle blues, that's what rock 'n' roll did with it. So blues ain't going nowhere. Ain't goin' nowhere."
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I got to see him a couple times.
            RIP, Honeyboy.

Thanks for posting, Slowwy.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Cliff Robertson, Uncle Ben in Spiderman, Dead at 88:

WTOP delivers the latest news, traffic and weather information to the Washington, D.C. region. See today’s top stories.
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• I was hoping he'd make it.

LOS ANGELES, CALIF.—Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the hit cable series Spartacus: Blood and Sand, has died at age 39, according to representatives and family.

Whitfield died Sunday in Sydney, Australia, 18 months after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, manager Sam Maydew told the Associated Press.

Spartacus was 39 and a unique pick for Robert Plomp (14).

(171 - 14) + (100 - 39) +25

=243 points

Robert Plomp takes the lead in points.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• ahhhhhh

He was awesome.
                  "

Comment

• Dolores Hope, who gave up her singing career to spend 69 years at the side of her husband, Bob Hope, pursuing philanthropy and projecting with him the image of an enduring Hollywood marriage, died on Monday in the home she and her husband bought in 1940 in the Toluca Lake section of Los Angeles. She was 102.

Mrs. Hope gave up her singing career to to spend 69 years with her husband, pursuing philanthropy and projecting with him the image of an enduring Hollywood marriage.

Dolores was a pick for two players - -Jrabbit (3) and DaShi (12)

-Jrabbit receives 166 points and moves back into first place on the leader board.

DaShi receives 157 points and ties a couple all-time records.

Congrats to both and condolences to the Hope family.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                      Cliff Robertson, Uncle Ben in Spiderman, Dead at 88:

http://www.wtop.com/?sid=2538509&nid=541
                      I thought he already died in that movie!?
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        I was hoping he'd make it.

LOS ANGELES, CALIF.—Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the hit cable series Spartacus: Blood and Sand, has died at age 39, according to representatives and family.

Whitfield died Sunday in Sydney, Australia, 18 months after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, manager Sam Maydew told the Associated Press.

Spartacus was 39 and a unique pick for Robert Plomp (14).

(171 - 14) + (100 - 39) +25

=243 points

Robert Plomp takes the lead in points.
                        w00t!
                        I was so busy changing diapers that I totally had missed that I'm in the lead again 8)
                        I'm so proud, this is my best achievements ever in life! how am I gonna tell my mother. *wheeps*

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                          Dolores Hope, who gave up her singing career to spend 69 years at the side of her husband, Bob Hope, pursuing philanthropy and projecting with him the image of an enduring Hollywood marriage, died on Monday in the home she and her husband bought in 1940 in the Toluca Lake section of Los Angeles. She was 102.

Mrs. Hope gave up her singing career to to spend 69 years with her husband, pursuing philanthropy and projecting with him the image of an enduring Hollywood marriage.

Dolores was a pick for two players - -Jrabbit (3) and DaShi (12)

-Jrabbit receives 166 points and moves back into first place on the leader board.

DaShi receives 157 points and ties a couple all-time records.

Congrats to both and condolences to the Hope family.

To myself: "Argh.... always first read all posts before you respond, Robert."
                          Glad that I didn't tell my mother yet.

Comment

• Ms. Gabor is beginning to piss me off.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Not a pick of any of our players but good news nonetheless...

One of Canada’s most notorious criminals, serial killer Clifford Olson, has cancer and only days to live, corrections officials told the family of one of his victims.

Sharon Rosenfeldt, whose son Daryn was one of Mr. Olson’s 11 victims, said she got a call Tuesday from Don Head, Commissioner of the Correctional Service of Canada, who wanted to inform her before the news leaked.

He told her that Mr. Olson has a cancer that has metastasized and would be transferred to a local hospital from the ultra-secure Special Handling Unit of the federal penitentiary in St. Anne des Plaines, Que.

Good riddance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                                w00t!
                                I was so busy changing diapers that I totally had missed that I'm in the lead again 8)
                                I'm so proud, this is my best achievements ever in life! how am I gonna tell my mother. *wheeps*
                                In recognition of the distraction that comes with fatherhood, I am donating to Mr. Plomp the 8 days of celebrating the lead that he missed due to being busy and/or oblivious.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X